A possible 10 gallon setup...thoughts?

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! It has been a LONG time since I have posted here...and even longer since I have tried my hand at the salty side of the hobby. My mum and I have recently been doing a lot of oogling over reef tanks on youtube, though, so I am TEMPTED to try my hand at a 10 gallon reef setup with mostly soft corals (perhaps with some LPS thrown in for good measure). Here are the specs I was thinking of;

LIGHT; Nicrew reef light, 30 watts. Tried to post the amazon link, but it didn't work right.

FILTER; an internal filter primarily for mechanical filtration (I was hoping the rock would do most of the biological work). I was thinking of adding a second internal filter or perhaps a powerhead on the opposite corner of the tank to ensure sufficient flow through the tank (how much should I shoot for with softies/LPS, by the way? Should I just use powerheads instead of the internal filters?) I am hesitant to use HOBS because they would prevent me from covering the entire tank with a lid, and in my freshwater hobby most of the fish I have kept in recent years have been jumpers that have required completely covered tanks. I have never used a canister filter.

WATER; Premade seawater from a local petco (shooting for simplicity at the expense of my wallet), 3 gallon WC's a week. Distilled water for top-offs.

FISH/MOBILE INVERTS; No clue yet.

MACROALGAE; Maybe? I am in the early stages of planning this tank...nothing calcified if I go this route.

CORALS; Mostly soft corals, maybe a few LPS (only a few, though...don't want to deal with dosing). I am a sucker for sun corals and have kept one in the past for a while, but I am concerned their food requirements would unbalance the tank in the long term.

SETUP; Cycle the tank in the dark, then add copepods + lights, then start adding corals, fish, inverts, possibly macroalgae.

What do you think of my plans? Any important edits you would recommend? I thank you for your thoughts on my plans.

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the "lid", use the plastic end cap thing....and cut it to match the inflow...
I think its called a back strip:
1718742817863.png

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the plan...unless you have an easy auto top off idea. Trying to keep this setup relatively simple...
Maybe a gravity Ato? Never used one but I’ve heard they are a simple solution. I don’t know if this one is any good but just using it as an example

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i use Fritz RPM it keeps my parameters where i need them and is available at my lfs. Previously i used Red Sea blue bucket and it also did its job. So i dont think you can go wrong with any salt. A lot of folks on here are still using instant ocean. Which i believe you can find readily at petco, pet smart

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to ask an important question...what do you use for salt?
RedSea blue buckets are a common one people use! I use RedSea salts as well, but I don't remember the specific kind

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can mix salt with distilled. What I do with nano tanks.
Have 22 bottles here ready to go. I'm currently using Parents Choice from Walmart which doesn't have fluoride as some distilled waters for babies I'm told do.

If you really want to go simple then consider going old school undergravel filter. Doesn't get simpler than that and how I ran my first salt tank in the 80s. First use was in the 70s with fresh. Can then add a HOB for floss and GAC or continue with an internal filter as planned.

Word of caution with HOB and reducing evaporation via use of lids. I've tried that but the HOB has good gas exchange and my evaporation didn't change.

Can also add a diy HOB Fuge to remove co2 along with nitrates and phosphates lessening the need for water changes. My last tank went two and half years without a water change from carbon dosing and later HOB Fuge and ICP returned zero nitrates (that's not actually good) and 1.4 ppm phosphates which is low enough for softies and possibly all LPS. Can always add more nitrates as needed. I find it easier to add something then manage taking it away to a narrow band. Keep it simple my approach.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can mix salt with distilled. What I do with nano tanks.
Have 22 bottles here ready to go. I'm currently using Parents Choice from Walmart which doesn't have fluoride as some distilled waters for babies I'm told do.

If you really want to go simple then consider going old school undergravel filter. Doesn't get simpler than that and how I ran my first salt tank in the 80s. First use was in the 70s with fresh. Can then add a HOB for floss and GAC or continue with an internal filter as planned.

Word of caution with HOB and reducing evaporation via use of lids. I've tried that but the HOB has good gas exchange and my evaporation didn't change.

Can also add a diy HOB Fuge to remove co2 along with nitrates and phosphates lessening the need for water changes. My last tank went two and half years without a water change and ICP returned zero nitrates (that's not actually good) and 1.4 ppm phosphates which is low enough for softies and possibly all LPS. Can always add more nitrates as needed. I find it easier to add something then manage taking it away to a narrow band. Keep it simple my approach.
Yeah, distilled+salt was the route I was most likely going, as I don't have any way to install an RODI unit here.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • My coral

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back