acrylic aquarium owners! what you use to scrub hard algae off?

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what you guys use to clean hard algae off you tank, the purple algae comes of easy but green and brown takes for ever to scrape off

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use mighty magnets and I can bet possibly there is nothing which can beat the quality and performance. But its performance is costly.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well….since you asked…I use a mag float with an acrylic mesh sleeve (available from Champion Lighting). Works great and eliminates possibility of sand scratches. Been using them for many, many years!
For heavy coralline buildup, I use a metal blade scraper or a razor blade on my tanks !!! What??? I use my Dremel to round off the 90 degree corners on the end of the blades (which seems to be the problem that scratches the acrylic) … if you’re unsure, you can first try it on a back panel
Best way of course, is to not let anything build up, clean it as soon as you can.

OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mighty magnets and I can bet possibly there is nothing which can beat the quality and performance. But its performance is costly.
I use magfloat 1000, and it's not doing a good job. It's very strong magnet, but I guess what I need is a good cleaning pad that can do the trick.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use magfloat 1000, and it's not doing a good job. It's very strong magnet, but I guess what I need is a good cleaning pad that can do the trick.
Get the sleeve for it!
43A408D9-B6F1-4188-A757-84D9D569FD69.png

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. clean magic eraser (unscented/plain obv). Won’t scratch

Aquajamin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Aqua Free Great White on my 1” acrylic tank. For stubborn algae I use the Continuum Aquatics acrylic safe scrapers.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mighty magnets come with different kinds of sleeves and pads and you can change them according to your need.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can we buy replacement pads, specifically the “dozer” pad with the triangular metal ish scraper on the pad? I have a mangrove 8 and need replacement pads etc.

corey

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I too - Mighty magnets. The mesh and plastic blade both work very well

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For weekly use I use a Magfloat XXL with the See Cleer scrubber sponge. When the coraline gets a hold then I use one of two things.

1) Available on Amazon - Plastic Razor blades. Looks like a good old fashioned razorblade - but bright orange plastic. Will fit into the stainless steel scraper tools used for glass planted tanks. It fits into the clamp.

2) If you can reach all the spots you need with your arm and don't need a scraper tool, then you can buy online the razor blades used for box cutters or carpet tools that have rounded edges. A clean straight metal edge will not scratch the acrylic, one the corners do. But you have to be smooth and straight with it and I find this impossible to do when using the metal on the extension rod.

Dave B

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often you replace bags. I got one lasted me 4 month now won't scrape any hard algae
I think it mostly depends on how often you use it and how dirty the tank is. I usually get about 4-5 months as well before I replace it but that’s also because I tend to get lazy and clean less often which allows for more stuff to accumulate on the panels.

OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it mostly depends on how often you use it and how dirty the tank is. I usually get about 4-5 months as well before I replace it but that’s also because I tend to get lazy and clean less often which allows for more stuff to accumulate on the panels.

Do you buy their bags only? Have you used any other brands? I got one when I first got my mighty magnet, but I'm not to sure if I want to continue to pay $10+shipping/a bag. that last several months,

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you buy their bags only? Have you used any other brands? I got one when I first got my mighty magnet, but I'm not to sure if I want to continue to pay $10+shipping/a bag. that last several months,
Yeah I buy their brand exclusively. I purchase 6 last year and I still have 4 left so I think I’m
Good for another year or two lol.
Honestly every time I clean my tank I promise myself that I’m not gonna let it get this bad but that never holds up lol. If you are more proactive then you can just use the regular pads or magic eraser pads in it. But when it gets out of control the algae scrubber bags work amazingly.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often you replace bags. I got one lasted me 4 month now won't scrape any hard algae
Did you try turning it front to back or inside out? When dirty, I put them in a bucket with hot water and bleach…come out like new.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back