acute genocide

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good to know about the mag increase. heres a pic of the suspected bryopsis. hopefully its clear enough. we all know how those blue lights mess with the white balance on a phone.
its quite tough to pull off.
IMG20240722180701.jpg
Impossible to see you need to pull some off and view under a cheap microscope to ID it. Bryopsis is very fern like in appearance. GHA is very common in 6 month tanks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have discussed this with the owner of the company. Have you had an opportunity to do so?

No but it was only with this magnesium that it apparently worked with. I also don't trust the owners to admit impurities.

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to see you need to pull some off and view under a cheap microscope to ID it. Bryopsis is very fern like in appearance. GHA is very common in 6 month tanks.
You should get a cheap blue light filter clip-on lens for your phone. It's pretty much a necessity if you want to take pics of your tank in it's natural light schedule. As @Lavey29 stated, it's most likely GHA. I got it at 6 months with this new tank, and I'm still dealing with it to this day. It's been quite the battle. Manual removal seems to be the way to go. It's 80% gone after 6 months.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good to know about the mag increase. heres a pic of the suspected bryopsis. hopefully its clear enough. we all know how those blue lights mess with the white balance on a phone.
its quite tough to pull off.
IMG20240722180701.jpg

That is 100% bryopsis. I'd manually remove it or peroxide that spot of the rock. Fluconazole is good if it gets out of control

OP
OP
amyxagl

amyxagl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking closer and seeing the tree-like structures, I think it might be both actually...
the brown film all around the bryposis i think is dinos because it goes away at night. been trying to remove it and suction it out but being low on phosphates i kinda point towards dinos. regardless the tank isnt done cooking :grinning-face-with-sweat:

You should get a cheap blue light filter clip-on lens for your phone. It's pretty much a necessity if you want to take pics of your tank in it's natural light schedule. As @Lavey29 stated, it's most likely GHA. I got it at 6 months with this new tank, and I'm still dealing with it to this day. It's been quite the battle. Manual removal seems to be the way to go. It's 80% gone after 6 months.
i have one.. i just forget about it becuase its tuck away upstairs lol. need to bring it closer to the tank so ill actually use it

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the brown film all around the bryposis i think is dinos because it goes away at night. been trying to remove it and suction it out but being low on phosphates i kinda point towards dinos. regardless the tank isnt done cooking :grinning-face-with-sweat:

i have one.. i just forget about it becuase its tuck away upstairs lol. need to bring it closer to the tank so ill actually use it
You could have ZERO PO4 and still have a forest of GHA. Trust me! Reason being: the GHA will use up any available Phosphates and from what I've researched, they can use it faster than corals can. So any phosphate may not be detectable due to GHA continuously using all of it right up, thus showing 0.0 on your Hannah test. This has happened with my tank, and I was bashing my head against the wall trying to figure it out!

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said inverts are doing fine. Lettuce nudibranch ate all my bryopsis. It’s life ran its course unfortunately and now my bryopsis is returning. Because of the bryopsis being mixed with hair algae and dinos, it ate all of that as well. I have another arriving tomorrow.
Have you had a recent algae or phyto bloom? We’ve kicked everything else around what about a contaminant in food? Any new packages of flakes or pellets opened recently?
Depending on where it’s manufactured, you could get all sorts of contaminants including saponin derived from plants.

I have to worry about this type of cross contamination with my land based livestock all the time.

OP
OP
amyxagl

amyxagl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said inverts are doing fine. Lettuce nudibranch ate all my bryopsis. It’s life ran its course unfortunately and now my bryopsis is returning. Because of the bryopsis being mixed with hair algae and dinos, it ate all of that as well. I have another arriving tomorrow.
Have you had a recent algae or phyto bloom? We’ve kicked everything else around what about a contaminant in food? Any new packages of flakes or pellets opened recently?
Depending on where it’s manufactured, you could get all sorts of contaminants including saponin derived from plants.

I have to worry about this type of cross contamination with my land based livestock all the time.
:face-with-monocle:hmm nudibranch... didnt think about that. where are you ordering from? ill have to see if one of the lfs can order a nudibranch, because ive never seen one for sale here or i did long time ago but wasnt doing saltwater at the time. i prefer a natural utility cleaner over chemicals.

as far as algea or phyto bloom i have not, at least i dont think. without a microscope right now i cant definitely say gha or dinos. i believe dinos at the moment because it significantly goes away at night. Phyto i currently dose live phyto from algea barn to help feed copepods and coral.

the food i use is BRS pellet food thats been in my autofeeder. last time i filled it was over a month ago. its a good idea, maybe a few granuals had something in it from the machinery. its not like fda inspects this stuff. maybe ICP will catch something. ill be getting one this thurs.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:face-with-monocle:hmm nudibranch... didnt think about that. where are you ordering from? ill have to see if one of the lfs can order a nudibranch, because ive never seen one for sale here or i did long time ago but wasnt doing saltwater at the time. i prefer a natural utility cleaner over chemicals.

as far as algea or phyto bloom i have not, at least i dont think. without a microscope right now i cant definitely say gha or dinos. i believe dinos at the moment because it significantly goes away at night. Phyto i currently dose live phyto from algea barn to help feed copepods and coral.

the food i use is BRS pellet food thats been in my autofeeder. last time i filled it was over a month ago. its a good idea, maybe a few granuals had something in it from the machinery. its not like fda inspects this stuff. maybe ICP will catch something. ill be getting one this thurs.
I order my lettuces from TSA. Always have been healthy and good size and eat algae in the tank. Some ppl have said theirs head straight to the glass. Mine from TSA never have. Bryopsis is their bag. But as I said I had a little bit of everything so they consumed mats of bryopsis and Dinos and gha because it was all growing together. The first one I got I got because my paly/ zoas were getting covered. Scrubbing around a particular colony made me violently ill so I vowed never to do it again. The lettuce was my last effort before dumping every colony in bleach and just calling it a loss. So far mine have eaten what they should. Hopefully the one arriving tomorrow will be just as efficient. When you can trust the tank to add fish, one of my rainfordii is a big algae muncher.
I also have chitons. They are slow but good grief they eat down to bare rock.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back