adding marco base rock?

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to add 50 pound of marco base rock to my tank that has been running for two year is this going to cause it to cycle again cant take any chance with the corals i have please let me know

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should at least cycle the rock sperately. An even better idea might be to bleach it or even an acid bath in muriatic acid mixed 1/10 with water. Do a little research on those before taking the plunge, but if done properly they're totally safe.

5DC

Aquaculture/Retailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marko rock is nice but will definitely cycle.

You need to setup a garbage can or rubbermaid to cycle the rock with.

PM me if you need more info.

/d

Marc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for trying to help guys but,
It's important to understand the difference between the different rock we sell and when it was sold. The old Fiji (pre-Feb09) was sold "as collected" and was loaded with organics. After Feb 09 all Fiji and our Key Largo rock has shipped "Pre-Cycled" or "Cooked" after this Pre cycling the Fiji is mostly free from organics and the Key Largo completley free of organics.

looking to add 50 pound of marco base rock to my tank that has been running for two year is this going to cause it to cycle again cant take any chance with the corals i have please let me know

For the Key Largo
While clean and "technically ready to tank without issue I always suggest allowing the rock to colonize with bacteria before adding.
You can do this with just a week in a rubbermaid tote and a bottle of Fritz 900. (you can seed with some of your established rock but the fritz will be faster)
This will help to avoid/ minimize a diatom or other nuisance outbreak common when adding any dead mass to a system."

Bottom line is:
It's the cleanest rock you'll find and more than likely you'd be fine, BUT taking the time to be "on the safe side" is always prudent.

For Fiji
Follow same but test, this rock is very clean but still may produce some ammonia.

Thanks
Marc

Last edited:

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for trying to help guys but,
It's important to understand the difference between the different rock we sell and when it was sold. The old Fiji (pre-Feb09) was sold "as collected" and was loaded with organics. After Feb 09 all Fiji and our Key Largo rock has shipped "Pre-Cycled" or "Cooked" after this Pre cycling the Fiji is mostly free from organics and the Key Largo completley free of organics.

For the Key Largo
While clean and "technically ready to tank without issue I always suggest allowing the rock to colonize with bacteria before adding.
You can do this with just a week in a rubbermaid tote and a bottle of Fritz 900. (you can seed with some of your established rock but the fritz will be faster)
This will help to avoid/ minimize a diatom or other nuisance outbreak common when adding any dead mass to a system."

Bottom line is:
It's the cleanest rock you'll find and more than likely you'd be fine, BUT taking the time to be "on the safe side" is always prudent.

For Fiji
Follow same but test, this rock is very clean but still may produce some ammonia.

Thanks
Marc

Ignore this, he has no idea what he's talking about! :tongue:

starfish

Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are purchasing this rock from LFS or on line wholesaler you will have to cycle the rock for a min. of 10days to 2 wks. Keep check of the water paremeters that the rock is in, might even add some cycling bacteria to the container to seed it and boost the cycling process.

Test the water in the curing container every 2-4 days when nitrites go down and all paremeters are good. Its good to go. Also I would rinse the rock thoroughly in saltwater or RO water prior to putting it into your curing container to get off excess sand,dead matter whatever.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back