Adhesive to glue plywood to cinder block?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the knowledgeable people here I wonder if anyone has a recommendation on an adhesive to glue a piece of 3/4" plywood to a cinder block wall. I want to tidy up my rodi system and relocate it so I don't have to climb to change filters. The cinder block wall is my basement so I don't want to drill. TIA

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that both surfaces will / can hold moisture, breath, and move over time I would use a paste epoxy. Something like PC-7 or PC-11 will allow for moisture and movement.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Construction adhesive is good, but slow drying. You would have to add a couple tapcon screws or jack brace it while the glue sets. They make a contact adheasive you apply to both sides with a trowel that would probably be more appropriate if you dont want to also use mechanical fasteners. Something like weldwood. Or even if you dont mind mixing, locktite's 5 min epoxy would work well.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Pretty much any construction adhesive such as liquid nails.
I've put 2x4's against concrete walls using construction adhesive ( mistake ) and when asked to remove them ( didn't know they were going to ask) it was near impossible to not leave some of the 2x4 behind. ( in a pulp mill).
As noted it will need to be braced for a couple hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much and construction adhesive such as liquid nails.
I've put 2x4's against concrete walls using construction adhesive ( mistake ) and when asked to remove them ( didn't know they were going to ask) it was near impossible to not leave some of the 2x4 behind. ( in a pulp mill).
As noted it will need to be braced for a couple hours.

Ooh I like the idea of glueing 2x4 and screwing the plywood to those. Can modify later if needed. Thank you!

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
time lapse watch GIF

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liquid nails , heavy duty
Liquid nails is absolute and utter garbage and has been since they reformulated to increase margin and to comply with VOC laws 20 or more years ago. IT is absolutely the worst construction adhesive (any flavor of it) on the market.

PL polyurethane based adhesive is infinitely better. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the knowledgeable people here I wonder if anyone has a recommendation on an adhesive to glue a piece of 3/4" plywood to a cinder block wall. I want to tidy up my rodi system and relocate it so I don't have to climb to change filters. The cinder block wall is my basement so I don't want to drill. TIA

Anything adhesive permanent enough to attach plywood to your basement wall is going to be, well permanent. I think that defeats the idea of "not screwing into the wall".

a few 3/16 holes with tapcons or even nylon wall anchors will be more than suitable for an RO/DI board. The holes are tiny and can be easily filled with any number of suitable materials and far more reversible than adding adhesive to the wall.

JayM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liquid nails is absolute and utter garbage and has been since they reformulated to increase margin and to comply with VOC laws 20 or more years ago. IT is absolutely the worst construction adhesive (any flavor of it) on the market.

PL polyurethane based adhesive is infinitely better. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Agreed. The last straw for me was years ago. I used some to glue some fake flagstone to a small cinder block wall and within a few weeks every last piece had come loose.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything adhesive permanent enough to attach plywood to your basement wall is going to be, well permanent. I think that defeats the idea of "not screwing into the wall".

a few 3/16 holes with tapcons or even nylon wall anchors will be more than suitable for an RO/DI board. The holes are tiny and can be easily filled with any number of suitable materials and far more reversible than adding adhesive to the wall.
I gotta agree, if you ever want you remove it, well, you couldn't.

WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER HAVING A FOWLR TANK? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST FISH?

• Yes!

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • No...

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • I already have one!

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I did have one, but I don't anymore...

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back