!!!ALAS, Temptations abound, FRUIT THAT DOES HANG LOW ON THIS DAY!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there names for any of these 5 corals? Or have you made anything up yet?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok cool wow! tell you what my friends, if any of you really do want a pack of these, shoot me a PM and we can work any details for sure. Was thinking more along the lines of 25 each for all of them as a 5 pack as opposed to picking out one or two, but hit me up and ill work with any of you that are interested as best I can.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tell us about your harsh QT regimen, please.

with pleasure

This is the writeup I send to anyone that asks about, or needs info on how I deal with new arrivals and on using Bayer. If you have any other questions about specifics just let me know.

dip regimine

Here’s a quick write up on my new arrival regimen. I am a little more aggressive on stuff coming out of QT, but I still have never found a worm at the inspection phase of anything coming out. I’d like to think that my QT is pest free as well but I don’t assume.

The first thing I do is remove any part that is not coral 100%. That includes any plug, base or rock that the acro is attached to, Its a brutal process often resulting in broken up and battered colonies but something I feel is necessary I will also scrub well, any exposed skeleton that I can't simply remove with my saw using one of my infamous "battlebrushes". This is the first step in keeping flatworms, or any other unwanted pest or algae out of the QT.

My dosage system is pretty crude because I started with a 1.5 qt ice cream container to measure tank water. My initial dosage is 45ml bayer to about 1.25 qts water. If anything makes it through 15 min of that strength, I'll add another 30 ml for good measure. I have had some acros stressed at the stronger dose, but haven't lost any yet.

The best defense however has been an extremely thorough inspection. I believe that this has made all the difference in my efforts to keep pests out. I’ll take each frag or colony one at a time, before they go in the dip, and in a separate small bucket I’ll baste them real hard with a flashlight in my mouth. If they have even a single worm, from adults to really tiny ones on them, I will find them at this stage. In most wholesale orders I'll usually find at least one. On stuff from hobbyist and other vendors, every so often.

If I do, I’ll isolate the worm in a small container like the pic below, and put a small squirt of my bayer solution in there, then set my timer to 20 minutes. Usually within 10-15 min they are mush but but not always. If not, I’ll add some more bayer to the prepared dip and re set the timer. This at least guarantees me that my dip is strong enough to kill them. If I find eggs on anything, coral, rock or plug, I toss them without hesitation. And flatworms will lay eggs on surfaces other than acro skeletons, as illustrated in the second pic. I won't say exactly where theses came from, but if you feel you have to know, shoot me a PM.

IMG_2461_zpsmkbf5zs8.jpg

IMG_2464_zpsdby7do2f.jpg

One more area of importance is a very thorough rinse. I like to fill up 2 or even 3 five gallon buckets. Once the dip is over I let them soak in one for at least 5 minutes then again for another 5-10 in the other buckets.

A friend finally did the math for me on my dosage, and this is what it actually comes out to in simpler means. as opposed to the icecream bucket method lol

45mL for 1.25qt comes out to 9mL/cup, 5 cups = 1.25 qt. 8oz per cup

Last edited:

John Stuckey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for walking us through that. Very interesting and helpful - certainly makes me think highly of you

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Five!!

The BC Blueberry Fruitcake.........??
IMG_5556_zpsffd4ia4u.jpg

Got something similar going but a little more yellow in there.
Not sure where I got the frag from but I guess it was one of these Wild frag Livesales.

CSC_0753-L.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 33.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 43 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 30 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back