OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just read your whole thread. Amazing build Alex. Excited to see the display come to life.

More photos on the HRV, that’s genius. Still not sure what makes it a HRV and not an ERV :thinking-face:
The primary difference between the two is that an HRV transfers heat while an ERV transfers both heat and moisture.

The core materials are different between the two is really the only difference. The core or the HRV is solid and not permeable to moisture while and ERV core is a permeable material that allows moisture to pass through as well. Technically if I found the right materials for an ERV core I could make one and swap it out. However with the amount of humidity being generated with my aquarium system I don't really get concerned by dry air entering the fish room at this point.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY HRV Update

Seeing great results in CO2 reduction since the DIY HRV has been turned on. I installed more permeant ducting in the fish room to get better air circulation. In case anyone wants more details on how an HRV works I hope the picture below helps explain how it works. As note to the picture below the opposite heat exchange takes place when the air outside is hotter and the inside air is cooler. Its all about transferring heat energy so your furnace or air conditioning don't have to run as often with active ventilation. When I make a video for the DIY HRV I will see if the thermal camera I have can capture the HRV heat exchange in action.

HRV.jpg

Fancy installation - Custom 5 gallon bucket stand
20221002_222840.jpg

AC Infinity 4" inline duct fans (Insulated duct is vented outside)
20221003_143811.jpg

DIY air filter for the outside air before it enters the fish room. Loaded with air filter floss and activated carbon.
20221003_143848.jpg

New low CO2 level seen in the fish room (Lots of data needs to be collected over time)
20221002_212446.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish room system is looking great. I picked up a bunch of corals from Cherry Corals at Aquashella and a few other vendors. I am actually seeing coraline algae starting to grow again which is just another sign the system health is improving. Another ICP test is in the mail to see if the zinc levels have been further reduced. Waiting for ICP test results is never fun. The 150gallon aquarium is looking a bit better now that I cleaned the glass. The regal angel, Spanish hog, and the puffer seem to like the clean glass. The DIY HRV is also working great as I have been seeing much lower CO2 levels in the fish room. I added a thermal image of the HRV so you can see the temp difference even though the outside air was only 52F when I took this image. The heat exchanger easily shows up through the 1/4" PVC cover. I would like to talk about pH but it seems I am having some issues there with my Apex probes. The pH was showing around 8.0 then I recalibrated my probe a couple weeks ago and it dropped to 7.8. I figured this is a old probe so I purchased a new one and that one once calibrated now says the aquarium is 7.63. Funny thing is I calibrated my pH probe in my CARX which is not even on at this point and just flowing water and it says the pH is 7.78. I have to do more recalibrations but with such low CO2 levels and dosing Kalk I am having a hard time believing the system is below 7.8. More calibrations for tonight.

20221010_212823.jpg 20221010_212829.jpg 20221010_212832.jpg 20221010_212847.jpg 20221010_212905.jpg 20221011_170457.jpg
20221010_212632.jpg

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to hear that the coral in the grow out system seem to be doing so much better! Crossing my fingers that the ICP test comes back with even lower zinc than before.

You DIY HRV system is a really great idea that I think a lot of people could use in large tank rooms. I had never heard of one before, but it seems like a must have piece of equipment now!

Old pH probes for aquarists and scientists alike are definitely an issue, most should be replaced between 6-12 months depending on use. What type of calibration fluid are you using for your probe? Also, do you have a test kit for pH that you could check the probe against?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to hear that the coral in the grow out system seem to be doing so much better! Crossing my fingers that the ICP test comes back with even lower zinc than before.

You DIY HRV system is a really great idea that I think a lot of people could use in large tank rooms. I had never heard of one before, but it seems like a must have piece of equipment now!

Old pH probes for aquarists and scientists alike are definitely an issue, most should be replaced between 6-12 months depending on use. What type of calibration fluid are you using for your probe? Also, do you have a test kit for pH that you could check the probe against?

Thanks. I am hoping I am down to an acceptable zinc range with this test. Mathematically I should be there if the GFO and water change did their job. Just have to wait for results.

HRVs seem to be gaining a bit more popularity since they can help with humidity reduction and lower CO2.

I am going to do another round of calibration tonight. Hoping to resolve this issue. Another pH monitor might be needed if I can't get this resolved.

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY HRV Update

Seeing great results in CO2 reduction since the DIY HRV has been turned on. I installed more permeant ducting in the fish room to get better air circulation. In case anyone wants more details on how an HRV works I hope the picture below helps explain how it works. As note to the picture below the opposite heat exchange takes place when the air outside is hotter and the inside air is cooler. Its all about transferring heat energy so your furnace or air conditioning don't have to run as often with active ventilation. When I make a video for the DIY HRV I will see if the thermal camera I have can capture the HRV heat exchange in action.

HRV.jpg

20221002_222840.jpg

20221003_143811.jpg

DIY air filter for the outside air before it enters the fish room. Loaded with air filter floss and activated carbon.
20221003_143848.jpg

New low CO2 level seen in the fish room (Lots of data needs to be collected over time)
20221002_212446.jpg
Can I assume (thought it was sort of evident from the first photos but not 100%) that the heat exchanger is corrugated plastic with ~half of the channels facing one way and the other half turned 90 degrees to allow the air to flow across both corner pairs but not (to some extent) interchange?

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I assume (thought it was sort of evident from the first photos but not 100%) that the heat exchanger is corrugated plastic with ~half of the channels facing one way and the other half turned 90 degrees to allow the air to flow across both corner pairs but not (to some extent) interchange?
Yes that is how this heat exchanger is arranged with layers alternating between intake air and exhaust air. Any air mixing should be minimal.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alex, wow, just crazy admiration and respect for you and the hard work your putting into this. I am exhausted just watching that video, can’t even imagine how tiring all that fiberglassing, sanding etc must have been. Really appreciate your attention to detail, keep up the good work, looking forward to the next update.

lonepalm99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY HRV Update

HRV.jpg

20221002_222840.jpg

20221003_143811.jpg

20221003_143848.jpg

20221002_212446.jpg
Great idea! The breakdown of the work really makes understanding the process easier. Amazing job.

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the idea is the air streams pass near each other through the plastic channels but are not intended to mix with one another.

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its official. Yesterday I placed the glass order for the 4200gallon display. Once the order is complete I will provide the vendor name and a review of my experience with this glass vendor.
I can only imagine what the price tag is on that order.

BTW, great build!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water by the end of the year??
No its going to be next year. Even when the glass arrives and gets to the basement I need to give the glass time to acclimate to the house temp, final fitting, cleaning, sealing the glass will be a long day. Then 10-12 weeks of cure time. Then fill test will take another 30-60days. After that it's aquascaping, refill with saltwater, then 3-6months before it can be integrated with the running aquarium system. I am thinking mid next year.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is behind your thought on waiting 3-6 months before the water in the display can be circulated with the water in the fish room?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back