All of my fish just died

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your losses. I’m no expert, but I would do some research on keeping corals without fish. I think it is a bit more complex than keeping nitrates up. You may need to dose ammonia.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet!!! I think, my fish looked like that when that got in my tank. Nasty s*** that is. Im sorry. I went fallow 90 days when I had velvet to be extra safe

JCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all of my fish died from an unknown disease (started with ich a few months ago but then i fixed that problem) then last week all of a sudden everyone starts to drop (no new fish have been added so that’s why i have no idea what it could be). but i still have lots of corals in the tank from sps lps and softies. how long should i wait before even trying fish again? i know for ich its 76 days which is fine but should i wait even longer since idk what the disease is? then in the mean time while there is no fish, how do i make sure are the corals stay healthy and happy? i’ve never had a coral only tank.
I’m wondering if you are using a sterilizer ? In my view that’s a must to keep fish healthy. Also I always soak food in garlic, it keeps their immune system strong.

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet!!! I think, my fish looked like that when that got in my tank. Nasty s*** that is. Im sorry. I went fallow 90 days when I had velvet to be extra safe
I did the same 90 days just for Ich. I wanted to take Zero chances. I will never add another fish without quarantining them in copper. Corals took a slight beating over the 90 days. I think mostly because Amphipods were like ants running around and ticking everything off.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if you are using a sterilizer ? In my view that’s a must to keep fish healthy. Also I always soak food in garlic, it keeps their immune system strong.
I've never used one in my 6 year old tank. They also only catch free floating and won't eliminate things like ich as they drop out of the column.

JCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used one in my 6 year old tank. They also only catch free floating and won't eliminate things like ich as they drop out of the column.
It’s true there’s always ich in your tank but with a sterilizer slowly but surely the free floaters have there reproductive systems killed by the uv and eventually they stop infecting your fish. I’ve run systems with and without uv and my fish have always been healthier with uv. So I’m a believer! And garlic soak is cheap insurance and enhances the flavor of their food for picky eaters.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s true there’s always ich in your tank but with a sterilizer slowly but surely the free floaters have there reproductive systems killed by the uv and eventually they stop infecting your fish. I’ve run systems with and without uv and my fish have always been healthier with uv. So I’m a believer! And garlic soak is cheap insurance and enhances the flavor of their food for picky eaters.
IMO - garlic has no benefit in controlling external fish parasites. It may have some benefit in limiting internal parasites as it acts as a purgative.

UV systems rarely control protozoan or metazoan parasites because the power level needed to do that is around 5x greater than is needed to kill bacteria or algae cells. In addition, there is the dwell time issue: ich theronts emerge from the tomonts in sand in the early morning while the fish are sleeping. These can attach to a fish without ever passing through the UV unit.

UV should only be relied on as one portion of a comprehensive ich control process.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 12.5%
Back