Ammonia and bacteria

RobertP1969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is I just started a 150 gal tank it is finally down to 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 25ppm nitrates. My question is since bacteria consume ammonia
will all the bacteria die while I'm waiting on my fish? I ordered from Dr. Reefs and it may be a week or more. I have some pods and phyto coming in the next few days

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a water change or add some macroalgae (if you also have phosphates). Kudos for going with QT'd fish

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing how I dropped my nitrates. Had to add phosphates, however. Kept feeding it ammonium chloride as I waited to add life and that built up the bacterial population to the point I was able to increase my daily dosage of ammonium chloride.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish much more tolerant of higher nitrates. Corals becomes debatable as it appears lots of range provided by users but I'd be aiming for 25 ppm or less as well. Easiest for me to keep them under 20 although running algae scrubbers and Fuge can bottom that out quickly and I purposely overfeed therefore not concerned with zero as I know there's always an influx of nutrients being processed quickly. Heavy in. Heavy out the term I've heard and how I approach tanks.

Solo McReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is I just started a 150 gal tank it is finally down to 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 25ppm nitrates. My question is since bacteria consume ammonia
will all the bacteria die while I'm waiting on my fish? I ordered from Dr. Reefs and it may be a week or more. I have some pods and phyto coming in the next few days
Ol timers would pee in the tank

I dare ya

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.6%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 97 43.5%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.8%
Back