AMMONIA FROM STARFISH?

will?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help with my ammonia in a 35gal reef tank. I have recently had a massive spike in ammonia, and the only two things that have changed is the fact that I have bought a pair of red starfish and a pair of toadstool leather corals. I've heard that starfish can add ammonia and I can't risk them killing my tank. I've done an emergency water change of around 40 percent, but nothing has changed. What do I do? What can I remove??? Help, please

OP
OP
W

will?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is around 18months old, the reading is around 2ppm and I'm using a RedSea 'Marine Test Kit AMMONIA'

OP
OP
W

will?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the new water in, and the test result didn't seem to change, although I think the original result was above the test capacity, so hopefully the ammonia is lowering. The test after the new water still seemed to be around 2ppm, but I'm doing another change, and going to add fresh zeolite to the filter

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the new water in, and the test result didn't seem to change, although I think the original result was above the test capacity, so hopefully the ammonia is lowering. The test after the new water still seemed to be around 2ppm, but I'm doing another change, and going to add fresh zeolite to the filter

I meant test the new salt water itself to see if the kit is reading correctly.

OP
OP
W

will?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant test the new salt water itself to see if the kit is reading correctly.
Ohhhhh, I'm just about to test it when I get home. I just got some ammo lock (API) and 500g's of zeolite and another 20L of fresh saltwater, so hopefully the ammonia should be sorted soon

OP
OP
W

will?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And does anyone know if zeolite absorbs water treatment like carbon does, or am I safe to use both simultaneously?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And does anyone know if zeolite absorbs water treatment like carbon does, or am I safe to use both simultaneously?

You mean the api? I would not assume it does anything useful for ammonia, and only certain zeolites bind ammonia. Clinoptilolite is the type that binds some ammonia.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • My coral

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back