ammonia in qt tank

waterthatmakeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my qt tank 45 days before I put the fishes inside, all tests checked out before putting the fishes/copper in, but now that I've put in cupramine it is showing a high amount of ammonia. Any ideas on how to resolve this problem? Could it be possible the reading is false? For reference I'm using API testing kit & Cupramine.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some information here is a bit incomplete IMHO. 1. Cupramine can affect ammonia testing. 2. It remains unclear whether prime 'binds' ammonia (i.e. removes it) - but it can affect testing (i.e. ammonia can remain elevated after using prime). 3. I would tend to use a hanna copper test as compared to API. 4. The way to go is water changes - where by you take out x gallons of water and replace with x gallons of water with the appropriate dose of copper. Hope this helps

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could definitely be a test error.

The other possibility is that the tank was not cycled. Just so that we can eliminate this possibility, can you say how you cycled the tank? Did you have zero ammonia and some measurable nitrate?

OP
OP
waterthatmakeu

waterthatmakeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some information here is a bit incomplete IMHO. 1. Cupramine can affect ammonia testing. 2. It remains unclear whether prime 'binds' ammonia (i.e. removes it) - but it can affect testing (i.e. ammonia can remain elevated after using prime). 3. I would tend to use a hanna copper test as compared to API. 4. The way to go is water changes - where by you take out x gallons of water and replace with x gallons of water with the appropriate dose of copper. Hope this helps
I'll definitely be doing a water change, just in case, anything else you might suggest? I just want to make sure that I'll be able to fix this one way or another.

OP
OP
waterthatmakeu

waterthatmakeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could definitely be a test error.

The other possibility is that the tank was not cycled. Just so that we can eliminate this possibility, can you say how you cycled the tank? Did you have zero ammonia and some measurable nitrate?
the tank was cycled, algae growth was visible, ammonia was at 0ppm and nitrate was somewhere between 0-5ppm (API does give exact measurements, but the color was matching neither.)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll definitely be doing a water change, just in case, anything else you might suggest? I just want to make sure that I'll be able to fix this one way or another.
Well - there are no guarantees of a 'fix' - I will mention - the toxicity of "ammonia" is directly proportional to the pH - since non-toxic ammonia NH4 at 1 ppm is not good if the pH was 7.8 - its really bad if the pH is 8.3

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the tank was cycled, algae growth was visible, ammonia was at 0ppm and nitrate was somewhere between 0-5ppm (API does give exact measurements, but the color was matching neither.)
Just so everyone is on the same page - is the API test you're talking about the ammonia kit or the copper kit

OP
OP
waterthatmakeu

waterthatmakeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well - there are no guarantees of a 'fix' - I will mention - the toxicity of "ammonia" is directly proportional to the pH - since non-toxic ammonia NH4 at 1 ppm is not good if the pH was 7.8 - its really bad if the pH is 8.3
I'm not quite sure what you mean, are you saying if pH is reading normal than it's really bad if it has an ammonia of 1ppm? my pH level reading was in the normal range, while testing for ammonia as well.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure what you mean, are you saying if pH is reading normal than it's really bad if it has an ammonia of 1ppm? my pH level reading was in the normal range, while testing for ammonia as well.
Ammonia alert badges don't get messed with by the copper, like total ammonia liquid tests do.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good read. Will help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I set up my qt tank 45 days before I put the fishes inside, all tests checked out before putting the fishes/copper in, but now that I've put in cupramine it is showing a high amount of ammonia. Any ideas on how to resolve this problem? Could it be possible the reading is false? For reference I'm using API testing kit & Cupramine.
Monitor the level as you go along with quarantine and use a reliable kit

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say the tank was cycled - were the bacteria challenged with an ammonia source, or was the tank just run empty? Some people use ammonium chloride to cycle a tank, others use some hardy animals.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT AREA OF REEFING IS YOUR WEAKEST? EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWER IN THE COMMENTS!

• Chemistry and Nutrient Knowledge and Management.

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Disease and Pest Control.

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • Livestock Care.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Technology and Equipment Knowledge.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 16 20.0%
Back