Ammonia testing in quarantine tank question.

alp5747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a Seachem ammonia badge and it reads 0,05 ppm (alert) in my quarantine tank so I just bought a new salifert ammonia test kit and it reads 0.
My question is how do you test ammonia and which should I trust?
Note: there is 1ppm nitrate and there has been fish in the system for 3 days many fish in the system

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alp5747 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a Seachem ammonia badge and it reads 0,05 ppm (alert) in my quarantine tank so I just bought a new salifert ammonia test kit and it reads 0.
Note: there is 1ppm nitrate and there has been fish in the system for 3 days many fish in the system
Badges aren't going to be very accurate. Best bet for ammonia and copper is Hanna.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recommend Hanna or salifert brand as API will offer false readings due to difficulty in use/color detection and badge also for freshwater use and hard to trust. I trust the salifert reading you post but zero with a new tank not impossible but raises question.
Did you add ammonia chloride to tank prior to testing ?

OP
OP
A

alp5747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend Hanna or salifert brand as API will offer false readings due to difficulty in use/color detection and badge also for freshwater use and hard to trust. I trust the salifert reading you post but zero with a new tank not impossible but raises question.
Did you add ammonia chloride to tank prior to testing ?
I was not trying to cycle the tank. It is an emergency hospital tank so I did not have time to cycle it properly. I used media from my sump to seed the hospital tank.
Note: most of the Media was only in the tank for about 10 days. About 10% was in the sump for over 1 month.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was not trying to cycle the tank. It is an emergency hospital tank so I did not have time to cycle it properly. I used media from my sump to seed the hospital tank.
Note: most of the Media was only in the tank for about 10 days. About 10% was in the sump for over 1 month.
10 days may not be enough but monitor water quality during QT period. Nitrate can reach as high as 20 but focus on ammonia readings

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of the badge, to show the colour it's reporting? Have you got copper in the water?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back