Another Apex vs Hydros thread

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of switching to the hydros platform from the Apex and if i completely change over from Apex this is comparably what I’d have to replace:
Apex A2 control head with salinity, Orp, ph, and temp probes
2xEB8
Trident
2xDOS
Here’s what I think I’d have to buy :
HydrosX4
HydrosxP8
Hydros Maven
from what I’m thinking this is the most cost effective way. I would love to hear from someone who’s switched from Neptune to Hydros to see if it’s an improved performance.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Hydros Launch instead of the X4 if you want the salinity probe. For dosing you have a couple of options, you can get the economical single dosers that plug into the 12v ports or you can get the Sole for continuous duty grade dosing. If you need more AC ports you can add as many XP8s as you need.

With hydros every module is a controller on its own so you can add based the ports you need.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Apex for many years, never really had any issues. I switched to Hydros for my new tank about 6 months ago. I like Hydros better, easier to program (for me), controller redundancy, some neat options (Wave Engine, Kraken, leak sensors, etc), aesthetics are much better (subjective). If I was setting up a new system from scratch, I would choose Hydros over Apex, no question.

However for most any typical use, either works fine, and based on your equipment list you have already made a big investment in Apex (I did not have Trident or DOS). I am not sure it is worth replacing that much equipment just to change platforms. You will probably not get very good resale value on your used Apex equipment. You might be happier spending the money on livestock or other equipment.

Is there some specific 'improved performance' that you are looking for-e.g. something your Apex setup is not doing well enough? I am hoping Maven will be better than Trident, but until end users have had it for a while, it is hard to know how accurate and reliable it will be.

OP
OP
ShoreReefer

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Apex for many years, never really had any issues. I switched to Hydros for my new tank about 6 months ago. I like Hydros better, easier to program (for me), controller redundancy, some neat options (Wave Engine, Kraken, leak sensors, etc), aesthetics are much better (subjective). If I was setting up a new system from scratch, I would choose Hydros over Apex, no question.

However for most any typical use, either works fine, and based on your equipment list you have already made a big investment in Apex (I did not have Trident or DOS). I am not sure it is worth replacing that much equipment just to change platforms. You will probably not get very good resale value on your used Apex equipment. You might be happier spending the money on livestock or other equipment.

Is there some specific 'improved performance' that you are looking for-e.g. something your Apex setup is not doing well enough? I am hoping Maven will be better than Trident, but until end users have had it for a while, it is hard to know how accurate and reliable it will be.
I had one of the 832’s go on me again and had to replace the 12v PSU again. It usually happens once per year and is pretty annoying. If I wanted to test N and P I would have to get another trident which would take up a lot more space than an all in one unit. I do agree that replacing the equipment would be quite costly vs resale which is why I’m hesitant on pulling the trigger. Although I may decide to get a Hydros X4 or Launch if an EB832 needs repair again. In that case I’d repair it, sell it and start replacing equipment as things break.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you are having trouble with equipment failing, it may make more sense to switch. My Apex stuff was over 10 years old and nothing ever failed (except probes which is expected), but all of my stuff was the old model Apex equipment before it became garish orange and gray plastic. I have heard that the newer stuff is not made as well especially the newer energy bars. Of course Hydros system is new so it is possible that it may also have failures after a few years. However Hydros does seem to be solidly built, well sealed, better connectors etc.

The only thing I missed about Apex is the little display module with push buttons on it so you can enter feed mode etc without using your phone. I bought this 5 button box from JBAquatics which I have been happy with, it allows me to switch between normal/feed/filter cleaning/water change modes and turn my under stand lights on/off without using a phone/app:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of the 832’s go on me again and had to replace the 12v PSU again. It usually happens once per year and is pretty annoying. If I wanted to test N and P I would have to get another trident which would take up a lot more space than an all in one unit. I do agree that replacing the equipment would be quite costly vs resale which is why I’m hesitant on pulling the trigger. Although I may decide to get a Hydros X4 or Launch if an EB832 needs repair again. In that case I’d repair it, sell it and start replacing equipment as things break.

As a side note, I developed an upgrade kit for EB832s to permanently address the 12v PSU failure. I had the same issue (yearly failures with the cheap PSUs), so made a "once and done" solution. Over 400 installed in the wild.

Looks like this:

409492532_680347534229182_7352156843282228814_n.jpg

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back