another stocking list discussion...

wccbr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120gal, 6' long tank with a screen cover, total system volume is around 150 gal and the current tank has probably been running around 10 years. My current fish are:
1 sailfin tang
1 blue hippo tang
2 black ice clownfish
1 yellow watchman goby
1 Randall's assessor

I'm considering re-homing the tangs and then I'd be looking for some different fish to add. I'd like to add a wrasse (or multiple!) as well as a group of dither fish or other active swimmers. I'm a bit reluctant to go with the usual suggestion of chromis since I don't really want to end up with only 1 and I'm a bit concerned about being able to feed anthias suitable food frequently enough to keep them fat and healthy. Currently the display only has soft corals and a small Duncan in it.
I'm interested in any reasonable suggestions but I'm not interested in the very expensive fish.
Bring on the suggestions and thanks in advance!

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a pair of Japanese Swallowtail Angelfish?
I've had two blue/green Chromis for almost 3 years. They're always together, not sure what would happen if there were 6 or 7.

OP
OP
wccbr1

wccbr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting species and a good suggestion that I hadn’t considered. I will probably be including one or more wrasses. I see that there’s a R2R post suggesting that they will chase wrasses and anthias. Is this very likely?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
obviously you need an interuptus angelfish, totally worth it and can you really call yourself a real reef keeper without one?

All joking aside in a 10 year old tank of your size a few anthias would be fine because of the pod populations in the tank. I had an anthias for 6 years and mostly fed 1-2 times a day. I do add phyto every few days though so my pod populations are always high.
Wrasses are great and my leopards have always been actively scouring the rockwork. Them and halichoeres genus wrasses are always out and about. You could do a large group of springeri or azure damsels. Mostly friendly fish, but will bicker with themselves from time to time and give a little chase to eachother. Its actually pretty funny. They dont bother other fish though unless they are nesting.
An angelfish in the paracentropyge genus would work well, but can be a bit expensive depending on which one. I like biota captive bred stuff and they usually do a sale for black friday so maybe wait if you want one of them
Copperband butterflyfish are great as well but you need to make sure it is actively eating before buying it and that is more rare

OP
OP
wccbr1

wccbr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
obviously you need an interuptus angelfish, totally worth it and can you really call yourself a real reef keeper without one?
Nope, don’t call myself a real reef keeper anyway ;). Just too stubborn to give in.

Finding fish in my area is a bit tough since it’s a 4 hour drive to the nearest decent fish store. So my purchases are online and I have to take the vendors at their word.

Thanks for the encouragement and the great suggestions.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 52 25.5%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 23 11.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 5.4%
Back