OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I unfortunately had a similar situation with a tomini tang from my LFS. Had to follow their acclimation procedure to get the guarantee. I followed against better judgement, and the fish acted very strange and died the next day.

He was replaced but I still feel bad because it was an unnecessary loss
i feel so bad... dang it man it was a super healthy big anthias :( now i only have 2... is 2 okay to be in a tank? or should i get another one? I'm gonna just make the 2 hr trip the LFS to get one or 2 if i can... i dont want to ever order fish online again.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feel so bad... dang it man it was a super healthy big anthias :( now i only have 2... is 2 okay to be in a tank? or should i get another one? I'm gonna just make the 2 hr trip the LFS to get one or 2 if i can... i dont want to ever order fish online again.

I have learned from this. Do what you feel is safest. And if you have an issue. “Yes, I followed your procedures exactly, step by step”

Mine came from LFS 3 min away from my house. And bad procedures still cause a fish loss. And honestly I have better luck buying fish online surprisingly

These three - all online
5F86BDD3-A0C5-450E-8C2A-D464E5C9389F.jpeg

And for my future anthias, they arrived at the vendor yesterday and will be shipped after they destress, when confirmed to be healthy and after a qt period

FA5BCCB4-9590-4F36-841D-806758663F3A.png

I’m getting one male and one female lyretail

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have learned from this. Do what you feel is safest. And if you have an issue. “Yes, I followed your procedures exactly, step by step”

Mine came from LFS 3 min away from my house. And bad procedures still cause a fish loss. And honestly I have better luck buying fish online surprisingly

These three - all online
5F86BDD3-A0C5-450E-8C2A-D464E5C9389F.jpeg

And for my future anthias, they arrived at the vendor yesterday and will be shipped after they destress, when confirmed to be healthy and after a qt period

FA5BCCB4-9590-4F36-841D-806758663F3A.png

I’m getting one male and one female lyretail
yeah i shoulda just "i followed the steps" and did what i feel was right :/ well i did also have a doa chromis. so i think ima just try reefbeauties next time i get fish.

Ive used them before and got a bunch of inverts + bluethroat fairy wrasse, orangeback fairy wrasse, and a diamond goby. all came in super healthy and no issues. Also THEIR policy tells u to just dump them in. and those fish were super healthy and active day 1 so i shoulda done that. i guess i learned the hard way... i stil lfeel horrible for the fish.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some are just difficult to acclimate and get through QT. I’ve tried several time with these online with no luck. I will only attempt these again through my lfs after they have recovered and settled for a few weeks.

9856.jpeg
13824.jpeg

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some are just difficult to acclimate and get through QT. I’ve tried several time with these online with no luck. I will only attempt these again through my lfs after they have recovered and settled for a few weeks.

9856.jpeg
13824.jpeg
yeah im not sure the biggest anthias was the one that died.. i figured it woulda been the small one if anything

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost 1 out 5 lyres.
I also lost 5 out of 5 Randall's.
0 out of 3 carberryi.

My tomini tang decided it wanted to kill my new baby hippo tang.

I thought it was planting flags but no, it's already declared the tank his.

I have a baby foxface that is also getting harassed by the tomini.

My blotched anthias tho is holding it's own.
If my tomini touches her, I'm gonna make tang soup out of the tomini.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I lost 1 out 5 lyres.
I also lost 5 out of 5 Randall's.
0 out of 3 carberryi.

My tomini tang decided it wanted to kill my new baby hippo tang.

I thought it was planting flags but no, it's already declared the tank his.

I have a baby foxface that is also getting harassed by the tomini.

My blotched anthias tho is holding it's own.
If my tomini touches her, I'm gonna make tang soup out of the tomini.
Wow have u tried putting a mirror on one side? That distracted my Tomini. Since putting up the mirror its leaving my anthias and chromis alone for now.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow have u tried putting a mirror on one side? That distracted my Tomini. Since putting up the mirror its leaving my anthias and chromis alone for now.

Yep, but you can't do that for too long otherwise the tang gets beatten up itself trying to beat itself up.

It just buys you time for the other fish to setup bounderies, and hold its ground, instead of being punked around as the new kid on the block.

So far my blotched seems to found its place near the top corner .... which kind of worries me.
She's eatting well, but id rather her pick a cave and camp that.

One of my female lyres is transitioning to a male... i can show you how that looks if you like.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome would love to see that! These are my 2 that made it to me safe. Eating well and no issues so far.
Yep, but you can't do that for too long otherwise the tang gets beatten up itself trying to beat itself up.

It just buys you time for the other fish to setup bounderies, and hold its ground, instead of being punked around as the new kid on the block.

So far my blotched seems to found its place near the top corner .... which kind of worries me.
She's eatting well, but id rather her pick a cave and camp that.

One of my female lyres is transitioning to a male... i can show you how that looks if you like

IMG_8192.jpeg

I'm tempted to get 1 or 2 more, but i cant find any locally. Not sure if i want to ship again.

Last edited:

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my transitioning Female Lyretail...

She looks dirty.. starting to grow black and a deeper red color...
20240504_144439.jpg

20240504_144438.jpg

20240504_144442.jpg

Here is my blotched taking over the cave...
20240504_144510.jpg

The blotched is so ugly but they are so cool, and very rare that i love it...
It reminds of the 80's movies gremilins.

When you feed a Lyretail after midnight, it turns into a BLOTCHED! :X

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back