Anybody know what’s going on with my Sailfin

Black Clover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
Anybody know what going on with my sailfin?

He’s missing pieces of his fins and looks like a little more each day…

More info:
All fish just came out of 90 day (QT) quarantine for ich. Everything was great! DT Tank was fallow for this time. The sailfin started showing these symptoms a few days after being placed in DT. He eats nori and brine shrimp and otherwise seems fine.

Water parameters are good with nitrates a little elevated (nothing new).

Tank mates include 2 clowns, damsel, fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, banded coral (boxer) shrimp, and many hermits.

I keep thinking the only one capable of snipping him is the boxer shrimp and this does not look like fin rot after looking at other pictures. I haven’t seen the boxer chase him but God knows what happens once the lights go out.

Thanks!

IMG_3520.jpeg IMG_3519.jpeg

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you CAN do is find out what happens after lights go out! Fish are on their best behavior when we're watching (yes, it's a thing!). So set up your phone to video capture and let it run. In about 20 minutes without someone in the room, you may get a glimpse as to who's the culprit. I'm thinking it's the large clown (Maroon?)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mouth shaped chunks missing from the fins are symptoms of a common infection of tank competition disease. Remove the clowns and see if the conditions of the tang improves.

OP
OP
Black Clover

Black Clover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Interesting cause 90 days together in QT and nothing… but the clowns did start nipping at my fingers in the end.

Clowns are Picasso and Darwin. No Maroons.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Interesting cause 90 days together in QT and nothing… but the clowns did start nipping at my fingers in the end.

Clowns are Picasso and Darwin. No Maroons.
And I fell for it again. Dark color and forced perspective. Gets me everytime!

Back