Anyone know where I can find an Atlantic Pygmy Octopus to purchase?

YourInsuranceDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't sure of best forum page to post on, so felt most general was here.

I have a cycled, empty tank that's been running for awhile while I've spent considerable time researching APO and would like to finally purchase. I currently have a 4 year reef tank, so not entirely new to the hobby. I've also discovered a few locations in the area for live food sources to feed a variety of live options for the little guy. With their short life span, it would be an opportunity to consider upgrading to a larger size down the road and purchasing a bimac.

Is anyone aware of who may have these in stock available to order? Most of the usual livestock sites are out of stock. I understand we are 'out of season' but have also been told there are still places to find them. I was figuring folks may have some from hitchhiking so even if there are threads/forums to review, that would be great, too.

Thank you.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a bimac. much friendlier and come out during the day to interact. How big is your tank? assuming small if you are looking at Pygmy.

OP
OP
Y

YourInsuranceDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a bimac. much friendlier and come out during the day to interact. How big is your tank? assuming small if you are looking at Pygmy.
29g biocube. I have a 40g I could convert from freshwater to salt (honestly just planned to sell it, I am done with it and not attached to the GBRs and Corys)...but too small for a bimac.

I would definitely prefer a bimac over dwarf but it would mean I have two 75g saltwater tanks running.

The biocube just feels simpler in many ways. What would make the most sense is I sell off my livestock in my 75g, but I just feel bad doing so. Would throw a lot of progress away for a single species. Hence, wanting to just create a second tank.

But dang, would be neat to have the bimac..

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29g biocube. I have a 40g I could convert from freshwater to salt (honestly just planned to sell it, I am done with it and not attached to the GBRs and Corys)...but too small for a bimac.

I would definitely prefer a bimac over dwarf but it would mean I have two 75g saltwater tanks running.

The biocube just feels simpler in many ways. What would make the most sense is I sell off my livestock in my 75g, but I just feel bad doing so. Would throw a lot of progress away for a single species. Hence, wanting to just create a second tank.

But dang, would be neat to have the bimac..
So I have a 32 biocube. I think you will have issues with the Pygmy getting out. it WILL get through the slots lower and upper on the back wall unless you can close those smaller. it will also crawl right over the top into the sump on the back since they don't enclose those. the top lid you could strap down and duct tape the feeder lid but those other two areas will be your problem and also trying to attach a good sized skimmer to it. the back also has the opening for hoses. you really need something better sealed. you can see how I set my tail up if you look at my build thread.

OP
OP
Y

YourInsuranceDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 32 biocube. I think you will have issues with the Pygmy getting out. it WILL get through the slots lower and upper on the back wall unless you can close those smaller. it will also crawl right over the top into the sump on the back since they don't enclose those. the top lid you could strap down and duct tape the feeder lid but those other two areas will be your problem and also trying to attach a good sized skimmer to it. the back also has the opening for hoses. you really need something better sealed. you can see how I set my tail up if you look at my build thread.
Appreciate the info. I think I would have similar issues with this. Not a big deal, easy break down in comparison. I don't want to rush set up anything anyways so I will get back to the drawing board. I think I would rather invest a little more, wait a little longer, then have the pay off of a bi-mac rather than a pygmy. Tom at tonmo has bimacs more regularly available anyways. Seems easier to get from there than anywhere else currently...

Would be disappointing for me (and my nephews especially!) to end up with an octopus that just hides all day. :)

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxies. Look for other diver direct shops

Googling Florida diver direct saltwater fish should get you pointed that way. I'd tell you directly, but I cannot remember any of the companies names.

Foxies, is by a dude named Jason fox. But not that Jason fox.

OP
OP
Y

YourInsuranceDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxies. Look for other diver direct shops

Googling Florida diver direct saltwater fish should get you pointed that way. I'd tell you directly, but I cannot remember any of the companies names.

Foxies, is by a dude named Jason fox. But not that Jason fox.
Thanks! No octos in stock, unfortunately.

However, since I am going to return to the drawing board, I probably will hold off until the fall since I will need to let a new tank cycle. So it gives me time and it will be back in season.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! No octos in stock, unfortunately.

However, since I am going to return to the drawing board, I probably will hold off until the fall since I will need to let a new tank cycle. So it gives me time and it will be back in season.
it's also easier to keep the tank colder over the winter. But a pump, 50' of tubing and a kegerator work great to chill it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried an lfs? I know some places in cinci have ordered octopus before (Reef life aquatics and discover aquatics)

sjfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Www.kpaquatics.com

He can get you one (he is the actual diver/collector). Awesome site and livestock, have gotten tons of stuff from them over the years. I got a Pygmy octopus from him and I NEVER saw it during the day. Had it for years in a 10g. Only time I ever still knew it was alive was if I came in the room at night and flicked the lights on. Def get a bimac, way better, more personality, and come out during the day. He can get you a common octo if you want too.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • No.

Votes: 99 56.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 6.3%
Back