anyone running 10g reef on AI PRIME HDs?

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently running a 10gallon mini reef and have upgraded my lights to a AI primes couple of months ago long story short ive started to get alot of algae outbreaks on my filter / heater / wavemaker basically everywhere bothering my corals already... im running a build from someone on the ai prime forums and i feel like its too much light so i reduced alittle bit and the algae slowed down alot and faded out on some areas but still have some so im looking for a good Setting that somone runs on a 10 gallon tank.

salinity 1.025
calcium 450
PH 7.8-8.0
nitrates 0
nitrates 0
ammonia 0
temp 79
phosphates .5-1.0 " i know i cant reduce them i tried it all...

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone’s tank is different so what might be good for my tank may not be ideal for yours. You will have to experiment with your lighting and the corals you have. Duration, intensity, perform water changes regularly and minimize feeding excess.
I also have the Prime light on a 4 and a 10 gallon cube. I love them and yes I get algae outbreaks from time to time, but it is my own fault because I feed Reef Zoids and Coral Vibrance for my Zoanthids and Palythoas.
What is your alkalinity level and are you dosing magnesium to maintain stable calcium and alkalinity levels? Might try carbon or other filter media to help with algae. Are you using a protein skimmer?

Last edited:

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 10g with the original non HD Prime. I do have algae issues, but it's 100% from lack of maintenance and non existent CUC. Water changes, GFO, and a few turbos and it's cleaning up nicely.

So my first question would be what do you have for a CUC? If there's not enough algae eaters in the tank you'll never be able to keep it at bay.

Edit: Making sure I read it right... a couple primes on a 10g? If that's the case it's way too much light. A single prime on a standard 10g is plenty... even for a SPS heavy tank.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI "primes" as in more than one on a 10G?

What settings and intensity are you running? I have a single Prime HD over my 10G and rune the BRS settings scaled way down. I am currently ramping them up slowly and do get some algae, but nothing more than I would expect...

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone’s tank is different so what might be good for my tank may not be ideal for yours. You will have to experiment with your lighting and the corals you have. Duration, intensity, perform water changes regularly and minimize feeding excess.
I also have the Prime light on a 4 and a 10 gallon cube. I love them and yes I get algae outbreaks from time to time, but it is my own fault because I feed Reef Zoids and Coral Vibrance for my Zoanthids and Palythoas.
What is your alkalinity level and are you dosing magnesium to maintain stable calcium and alkalinity levels? Might try carbon or other filter media to help with algae. Are you using a protein skimmer?
no protein skimmer, alk is around 9 , using chempure blue, and i dont dose mag cause i cant really find a cheap test kit for it

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 10g with the original non HD Prime. I do have algae issues, but it's 100% from lack of maintenance and non existent CUC. Water changes, GFO, and a few turbos and it's cleaning up nicely.

So my first question would be what do you have for a CUC? If there's not enough algae eaters in the tank you'll never be able to keep it at bay.

Edit: Making sure I read it right... a couple primes on a 10g? If that's the case it's way too much light. A single prime on a standard 10g is plenty... even for a SPS heavy tank.
my cuc is 4 nassaurus snails , 3 Astrea snails 1 margarita, and 5 hermits

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a Serpent or Brittle Sea Star as they get into small nooks and crannies that your hermits can’t. Also, weekly water changes are a reefers best friend!

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that might be an issue is the imbalance of nitrates and phosphates. I aim to keep it at around 100 ppm nitrates for every ppm of pho’s. Imo algae grows faster and coral growth is harmed with zero nitrates and phosphates but balancing is what makes algae grow less and coral grow more.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my cuc is 4 nassaurus snails , 3 Astrea snails 1 margarita, and 5 hermits

Well your nassarius snails don't eat algae, they eat left over food and detritus. You hermits can eat algae, but it depends on what kind you're fighting. I'd get a few more algae eating snails, maybe a single turbo and half a dozen ceriths. Then I'd up my water changes. A simple 5 gallons a week for a month or two will probably do wonders.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your nassarius snails don't eat algae, they eat left over food and detritus. You hermits can eat algae, but it depends on what kind you're fighting. I'd get a few more algae eating snails, maybe a single turbo and half a dozen ceriths. Then I'd up my water changes. A simple 5 gallons a week for a month or two will probably do wonders.
sweet which snails would be ideal ill get them this week

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that might be an issue is the imbalance of nitrates and phosphates. I aim to keep it at around 100 ppm nitrates for every ppm of pho’s. Imo algae grows faster and coral growth is harmed with zero nitrates and phosphates but balancing is what makes algae grow less and coral grow more.
well usually my nitrates go 0-40 depending on water changes if i change every weekend spot on they drop to 0

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the phosphate coming form your water source then?
well my previous water source was bringing in about 1.0 phosphates so i got myself an RODI buddy been using that last 4 water changes havent done much testing on that actually

Back