Anyone Tried Putting a Fish in the Skimmer Section of the Sump?

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. Just wondering if anyone tried. The skimmer(HOB) section of my sump is around 12 inches and 20 inches deep. Thinking of putting a live rock, some sand and fish, probably a frogfish or something that wont swim up the skimmer.

Is it ok? Just wanna add something in that section cuz it looks so bare.

Is it ok or a no-no? Anyone tried?

THANKS.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it ok or a no-no?
Bad idea, there is no species of fish you could be sure wouldn't get sucked into the skimmer intake, also sand is a bad idea in the skimmer section as it can also get sucked into the skimmer and damage the needle wheel or pump.
Would this fish live in darkness? A light is also not good near a skimmer due to algae growth inside the skimmer.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. Just wondering if anyone tried. The skimmer(HOB) section of my sump is around 12 inches and 20 inches deep. Thinking of putting a live rock, some sand and fish, probably a frogfish or something that wont swim up the skimmer.

Is it ok? Just wanna add something in that section cuz it looks so bare.

Is it ok or a no-no? Anyone tried?

THANKS.
You could probably screen the intake somehow. I ran a skimmer in my QT 30 gallon but my fish are all large and the skimmer was medium , rated for about 150 gallons. The problem was it sucking up food. You would have to turn it off when feeding the fish in the sump probably.

Back