Apex vs Hydros

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes. Thank you!

I want a system that can test all the things. So pH, Temp, salinity, alkalinity, nitrate, phos, calcium, mg.

I also want the system to control my heaters, sump light schedule and pump, skimmer, lights etc. In the sense that it can turn the heaters off at a certain temp, turn the fan on at a certain temp, etc.

I also want it to be able to dose to maintain levels of the elements in the tank, calcium, mg etc.

I was thinking of the X10 and Maven with the pro pack. Do you think this combo makes sense?
Also, do you know if the Maven is on the market as yet?

So get an X10 and XP8 or a Launch for now and pick up a used Mastertronic. They’re going cheap these days, if you really can’t wait for a Maven.

Hydros can do it all and it’s easy to use.

Drop by the “Official CoralVue Hydros” Facebook group if you have planning questions and I promise they’ll get you straight there. Usually @Connor At CoralVue or Carlos will help out there.

IMG_9030.jpeg

IMG_8999.jpeg

KirM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now you can have pH, ORP using the probe port. You can also have a salinity port but at this time they are only on the Launch and X10 controllers. The temp sensor connects to a sense port as most other input devices. The Maven is not out yet. I think they are trying for the 4th quarter sometime. I currently test for alkalinity using the X10 and iV combo. I also have a salinity probe in the iV. I do manual test for the others you mentioned using Hanna testers and enter the test data into the Hydros app. I do plan on getting a Maven when they become available. The Hydros controls my heaters and cooling fans. I do have heaters that have a thermostat so those are set about 3 degrees higher than the Hydros as a backup off. I would always have a backup off for heaters. I use the chiller output type to control my cooling fans. I have DIY LED lighting and control the lighting using 6 0-10v outputs. I also have sump LED lighting that is also controlled by a 0-10v output. I also control the return pump, skimmer and flow pumps with the Hydros. My ATO and AWC is also controlled by the Hydros. I dose All For Reef and a KH buffer using 2 dosing pumps from a X10. I do use dynamic dosing on these using the alkalinity test. I plan on using the calcium to control the All For Reef dosing once I get the Maven. I also control my mixing station and RODI unit with the Hydros. So the DI reservoir is automatically refilled when it gets low from the RODI unit. The fresh saltwater reservoir is refilled from the mix tank if the contents of the mix tank is ready to use. Once the transfer is complete it will automatically refill the mix tank from the RODI unit. All I have to do is add the salt mix and press a button when ready. I also have dispense pumps that are run from the Hydros by pressing a button. One is in the DI reservoir and one is in the fresh saltwater reservoir. I use them for filling containers from either reservoir when needed for some use. I just open a valve and press and hold the button until I have enough. I then release the button and close the valve. The pump will turn off but there is a little bit of a delay. I assume you are talking about the X4 XP8 Pro Pack. That is a good starting point since is has several different types of ports and it also comes with 2 terminators and a command bus cable so you can start a collective. To add another controller to the collective you would need the controller and a command bus cable. You will want the X10 and iV if you want to test alkalinity multiple times a day. It dose use the titration method with a pH probe and sulfuric acid. It also requires 3 dosing pumps for the testing. The drain pump can be a Hydros simple doser since it is just draining back into the tank system and as long as it empties the beaker that is all that is needed. The fill pump and reagent pump you will want to use 2 of the dosers on the X10.That will leave 2 dosers on the X10 for dosing. That is what I use to dose All For Reef and the KH buffer.
Sounds like what I want to do as well. I think the hydros really sounds better based on all the feedback everyone has been giving.

KirM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So get an X10 and XP8 or a Launch for now and pick up a used Mastertronic. They’re going cheap these days, if you really can’t wait for a Maven.

Hydros can do it all and it’s easy to use.

Drop by the “Official CoralVue Hydros” Facebook group if you have planning questions and I promise they’ll get you straight there. Usually @Connor At CoralVue or Carlos will help out there.

IMG_9030.jpeg

IMG_8999.jpeg
My dream setup!!!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like what I want to do as well. I think the hydros really sounds better based on all the feedback everyone has been giving.
If you are interested I have a build thread here on R2R that has quite a bit of Hydros info. It starts on page 6 post #119. Just click on My Tank Thread banner in one of my post and go to page 6. Post #119 is near the bottom. That was my first post and it was my first purchase. They didn't have the XP8 or the Launch at that time so I got the X4 starter pack.

KirM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are interested I have a build thread here on R2R that has quite a bit of Hydros info. It starts on page 6 post #119. Just click on My Tank Thread banner in one of my post and go to page 6. Post #119 is near the bottom. That was my first post and it was my first purchase. They didn't have the XP8 or the Launch at that time so I got the X4 starter pack.
Thanks!

Back