API ammonia test turned BLUE??!!

person

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was testing my ammonia since I was cycling my tank and when I used my api test it turned blue. Attached is a photo showing what I mean. The photo does not capture too well the color difference but what does this mean?! Blue is not even on the chart! (I tested 3 times)

IMG_0929.jpeg

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna guess it means your ammonia levels are off the charts high, How long has the tank been cycling? if you can, get a second opinion and get it tested at your LFS also.

OP
OP
person

person

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally only one week, I accidentally added 8ppm and I don’t understand how these levels when up!

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was testing my ammonia since I was cycling my tank and when I used my api test it turned blue. Attached is a photo showing what I mean. The photo does not capture too well the color difference but what does this mean?! Blue is not even on the chart! (I tested 3 times)

IMG_0929.jpeg
I know this one lol. Just for funsies I stuck a ammonia test in my ammonium chloride bottle and it was a deep blue color, so I would assume your ammonia is very high? I think I've seen people saying that the api tests are inaccurate though.

OP
OP
person

person

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this one lol. Just for funsies I stuck a ammonia test in my ammonium chloride bottle and it was a deep blue color, so I would assume your ammonia is very high? I think I've seen people saying that the api tests are inaccurate though.
How is it the possible my ammonia went up?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0929.jpeg
What was the color yesterday?

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally only one week, I accidentally added 8ppm and I don’t understand how these levels when up!
I’m assuming you’re saying you accidentally dosed 8ppm of ammonium chloride while attempting to do a fishless cycle that you’re 1 week into.

If I have that correct.

That’s why your levels are off the chart. I believe you’re only supposed to add 2ppm. You’ve added 4 times the amount if I’m understanding you correctly

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This would be your problem. You added a lot of ammonia, causing the ammonia level to be very high.

You should do a big water change to fix that. A 75% or so water change should bring the ammonia down to a level that's good for cycling.

OP
OP
person

person

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be your problem. You added a lot of ammonia, causing the ammonia level to be very high.

You should do a big water change to fix that. A 75% or so water change should bring the ammonia down to a level that's good for cycling.
Yeah I thought the same thing but my tank is 230g and it will take a really long time for my rodi filter to make that much water.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t check yesterday, I was only test around once a week. When I added the ammonia the day after I tested and it was at 8
I have seen this blue color with API and attributed it to me somehow contaminating the test solution. Never pursued it further.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonium chloride. About the idk what I’m doing here, your pretty right about that, lol
That’s ok. Everyone here can help.

You’ll get through it. What you added is your ammonia source. The poster that recommended water changes is the correct course of action most likely.

A 260 gallon is big by large lol. I feel for you on the labor it’s going to take to make enough water to accomplish that

Back