API ammonia test turned BLUE??!!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've seen people saying that the api tests are inaccurate though.

Yes, the API Ammonia test is inaccurate. But I don' know that it is THIS inaccurate!

API ammonia tests always seem to turn a shade of green to report .25, even with tap water.

Possible testing error?

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the API Ammonia test is inaccurate. But I don' know that it is THIS inaccurate!

API ammonia tests always seem to turn a shade of green to report .25, even with tap water.

Possible testing error?
very true API is not the most reliable test kit... I always got 0.25 on all my tests and when I went to the lFS they told me it was 0 but THAT much of a testing error is unlikely

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen it reported a while ago, these can go blue if salinity is way too high. I obviously do not know if that is accurate.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally only one week, I accidentally added 8ppm and I don’t understand how these levels when up!
The blue means that Ammonia is way too high.

It is in fact so high it will likely slow down the cycling process.

You can wait it out, or you could do a 50% water change to get it hopefully around 2 ppm so the tank will cycle normally within 3-4 weeks.

Your call - depends on your patience level :)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen it reported a while ago, these can go blue if salinity is way too high. I obviously do not know if that is accurate.
that's one cause. Also if the reagent A is insufficient it'll go more blue than green.
either way, blue/green are detections of lots of ammonia.

Back