OP
TheFalseReality

TheFalseReality

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheFalseReality have you considered building your own water tester? I'm going to try and build one
I have but I doubt I could make it very-cost effective. It is just easier and cheaper to test using whatever testers I got and record the results.
An automatic testing kit would require at least one very accurate peristaltic pump, a culvert, the reagents, multiple tube stoppers to open/close certain pathways for certain reagents to use, an agitator of some sort to mix the reagents, reservoirs, and an RGB color sensor to take the results. You could try a gantry type system but that is large and not very consumer friendly.

Broady2067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome, it is so worth having a Home Assistant instance, it will be a huge rabbit hole to discover once you really get into it and discover what it can do. I recommended digging out an esp32 and programming with ESPHome, it'll integrate with HA seamlessly. I just dunno how many GPIO pins you'd need, but I'm sure the esp32 will have enough. Install HA via Raspberry Pi Imager and get started!
Essentially, my AquaPi is an esp32 attached to a custom daughter board with terminals attached to certain pins. You could buy just the daughter board if you wanted on my website at near what is cost me to get it made
I am having difficulties creating a virtual switch.

Broady2067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome, it is so worth having a Home Assistant instance, it will be a huge rabbit hole to discover once you really get into it and discover what it can do. I recommended digging out an esp32 and programming with ESPHome, it'll integrate with HA seamlessly. I just dunno how many GPIO pins you'd need, but I'm sure the esp32 will have enough. Install HA via Raspberry Pi Imager and get started!
Essentially, my AquaPi is an esp32 attached to a custom daughter board with terminals attached to certain pins. You could buy just the daughter board if you wanted on my website at near what is cost me to get it made
Home Assistant now installed on my PC using a Virtual Machine.

Broady2067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three ESP32, all are in HA but all saying not connected. They all function as should in Arduino IDE 2.3.2 doing blink test. I have been on so many HA pages trying to configure a manual IP address but so far nothing has worked. I have also uploaded a sketch to identify the IP for all three devices in Serial Monitor and that also doesn't work. What am i doing wrong?
1718630083582.png

shoedy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three ESP32, all are in HA but all saying not connected. They all function as should in Arduino IDE 2.3.2 doing blink test. I have been on so many HA pages trying to configure a manual IP address but so far nothing has worked. I have also uploaded a sketch to identify the IP for all three devices in Serial Monitor and that also doesn't work. What am i doing wrong?
1718630083582.png
What do you mean with uploading a sketch? If that is through the Arduino IDE then they are flashed with other firmware and lose their ESPHome firmware.

Ime once you install them they should be connected, and you can read logs wirelessly after that but if it doesn't work you can read the logs over the serial connection (through that logs button you see in the screenshot). How did you configure the manual ip?

OP
OP
TheFalseReality

TheFalseReality

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1718630083582.png
If you install the AquaPi software via my GitHub, it would send out a captive portal, and once connected to the same WiFi, ESPHome will detect that and you an adopt the device in ESPHome. I cannot really help with other firmware. In ESPHome, if you created the yaml, you'd need to install that onto the device via a cable first, more likely.

Broady2067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you install the AquaPi software via my GitHub, it would send out a captive portal, and once connected to the same WiFi, ESPHome will detect that and you an adopt the device in ESPHome. I cannot really help with other firmware. In ESPHome, if you created the yaml, you'd need to install that onto the device via a cable first, more likely.
I have attempted to download the software and connect the device but it fails to connect to the wifi.

OP
OP
TheFalseReality

TheFalseReality

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Broady2067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you trying to connect? You can try using https://web.esphome.io/ to 'improv' wifi then wired, or use the captive portal, instructions here: https://github.com/TheRealFalseReality/aquapi/wiki/Setup-AquaPi#connect-aquapi-to-wifi
So i have got further than before, now i am unsure of the next step. Here is where i am so far. From the Github page i connected.

Git.PNG

Next i clicked ADD TO HOME ASSISTANT.
ESPhome.PNG

Clicked on OK, and then this is the bit that throws me.
Host.PNG

What is the next step?

OP
OP
TheFalseReality

TheFalseReality

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have got further than before, now i am unsure of the next step. Here is where i am so far. From the Github page i connected.

Git.PNG

ESPhome.PNG

Host.PNG

What is the next step?
Not sure why your HA instance is not auto-detecting your device if/when connected to same Wi-Fi, verify that it is. If so, try entering the IP address of the node. Click `Visit Device` for the web server and look for an `IP Address` sensor. Alternatively, go into your router software and get the IP address from there. Just make sure you HA and ESP device are on the same network

OP
OP
TheFalseReality

TheFalseReality

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Git.PNG

ESPhome.PNG

Host.PNG

What is the next step?
and for the record, do not upgrade to ESPHome version 2024.6 yet, it broke the Dallas sensor and working on a fix until I upgrade support

OP
OP
TheFalseReality

TheFalseReality

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Broady2067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TheFalseReality

TheFalseReality

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me thick if you like but I still have no idea what to try next. I have downloaded all the YAML files but don't know if I am to change any info.
Well darn, I installed it on a spare board, connected to Wifi, and HA auto-detected it and was able to add it easily. It's possible if you're using a different HA install OS that it is interfering with ESPHome? Try going to https://web.esphome.io/ and install the basic firmware and see if you get better results to see if it's my code or your install.

Broady2067

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well darn, I installed it on a spare board, connected to Wifi, and HA auto-detected it and was able to add it easily. It's possible if you're using a different HA install OS that it is interfering with ESPHome? Try going to https://web.esphome.io/ and install the basic firmware and see if you get better results to see if it's my code or your install.
Is there any way to reset the ESP32 so that I can do a clean install?

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • My coral

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back