Aquarium lighting question.

ChanceB2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a waterbox 25 with an AI Prime light I’ve noticed my zoas are kind of stretching toward the light so I feel like I need to turn it up. My question is how fast can I turn the light up so I don’t hurt my corals and if anyone had any suggestions on a better program for my AI prime. It currently runs at 50% on most of the spectrum but I feel like that’s low. I appreciate any help, thank you in advance
IMG_0797.png

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is the light from the water surface ?

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn it up. I have that light on a 15 gallon softie tank ( mushrooms and zoa’s ) and it’s set at 70%. My tank is 12” deep.

I would increase it 5% per week until you get to 80% and then monitor and decide on further action.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a hydra over the same tank. In the past I have adjusted my lights up 30% over a 3 week period, same spectrum. This worked well, but I knew the final par was in my target range for my corals. More recently I used 6 weeks to shift my spectrum because I didn’t have a par meter and just observed the corals to make sure everything seemed happy. This also worked well for me.

Could I have gone faster? Probably, but in my experience only bad things happen fast in a reef tank.

OP
OP
C

ChanceB2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, Thank you! Should I stick to the same schedule just at a higher percentage or go with something like the Saxby schedule? I’ve seen people talk nicely about it on Facebook.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, Thank you! Should I stick to the same schedule just at a higher percentage or go with something like the Saxby schedule? I’ve seen people talk nicely about it on Facebook.
Sure that’s a good idea if you want. The main idea is that your blues should be much higher than 50% so whatever program you choose adjust it accordingly. Cheers

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back