Are my phosphates to high?

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would not be concerned. You are only marginally outside of optimal range and chasing perfect redfield ratio can sometimes result in unintended consequences with your biome (like once you start, you can’t stop). Unless you are trying to get competition-level color out of tricky acroporas, your phosphate level is fine. Just keep up with water changes and don’t let it get any higher. If you do really want to get it lower, as others suggested, dosing a nitrate source would be great at your levels. Shoot for 10 ppm nitrate and your phosphate will likely come down a bit on its own. Just be prepared to make nitrate dosing a permanent part of your upkeep if you do.

OP
OP
thatindonesianreefer

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
i would not be concerned. You are only marginally outside of optimal range and chasing perfect redfield ratio can sometimes result in unintended consequences with your biome (like once you start, you can’t stop). Unless you are trying to get competition-level color out of tricky acroporas, your phosphate level is fine. Just keep up with water changes and don’t let it get any higher. If you do really want to get it lower, as others suggested, dosing a nitrate source would be great at your levels. Shoot for 10 ppm nitrate and your phosphate will likely come down a bit on its own. Just be prepared to make nitrate dosing a permanent part of your upkeep if you do.
Thanks!

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I’m in a similar state.

To my understanding NoPox will impact nitrates first and may take “several” months until it starts to impact phosphates…

I personally just started NoPox about 4-6 weeks ago as my nitrates and especially phosphates finally started rising after 6 months since first wet since starting with dry rock.

Nitrates are now down to 9-12 and phosphates are sticky at .18-.23 using about 1/2 of recommended amount of phosguard to keep them there or a bit lower.

I’m shooting for ~10 Nitrates and around ~.1 Phosphates but only as a guideline I’m not looking for the precise ratio discussed.

As suggested by others as the nitrates go down below 10, I’ve reduced the dose of NoPox slightly to keep them from going much lower but not stopped so as not to have to start the process over again. I also have some NeoNitro left over if I need to add nitrates noting that for the bacteria to reduce phosphates there much also be Nitrates to feed them and visa versa.

That is how I understand it’s supposed to work. Be interested from others as to if their experience at all aligns with the theory / marketing :). NoPox in theory seems pretty straightforward

oldbob50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the beginning of this year my phosphates have been at or above 0.5 PPM. For the last three months it has been at 1.0 ppm. My Hanna checker does not register any nitrates unless I doss nitrates. So my ratio is all messed up but my tank is not. I have no algae problems and my SPS and LPS corals are all growing so well that I am constantly fraging and trading with my LFS. I almost never have to pay for frozen food or new livestock because of the rapid growth rate. This may not work for others but as long as my tank is healthy I see no reason to get concerned.

Attachments

• Main tank 20240701.jpg
    Main tank 20240701.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 16

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Son 2 aydır fosfat ve nitrat seviyelerim aşırı yüksekti.
Yavaş yavaş indirmeye başladım ama herhangi bir sorun yaşamıyorum. Tam tersine kaplan meşalesini renklendirmeyi başardım ki bu da şaşırtıcı.
Nitrat 48 Fosfat 1,73

fosfat .jpg tank.jpg
No idea what you said or what language that is, but beautiful tank!

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what you said or what language that is, but beautiful tank!
Look at his reading then look at the tank .
Numbers don’t mean much if you use your eyes

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s gonna depend who you ask lol.. I think your levels are fine but I would bring up nitrates a tad.. I think ratios are whack and tanks flourish even sps ones with nitrates in the 60’s and phosphates well up there also… times have changed from trying to keep all them numbers low and starve out corals!

tarikyabaci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DO YOU PRIORITIZE YOUR TANK AFTER A LONG DAY?

• Yes, my tank helps me with day-to-day stress relief.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • Yes, even if I don't feel like it.

Votes: 17 12.1%
  • It depends on the day.

Votes: 44 31.4%
  • No, I'll try to save my "tank work" for a different day.

Votes: 19 13.6%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back