Are there any must-have gadgets for power outages in 2024?

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ecoflow told me "We are here to inform you that the AC output conversion rate is related to the load. For instance, if it is connected to a load with lower power, the conversion efficiency may be as low as 80%."

Are there any brands/batteries that are known for their low power performance?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I typically use 85% because that what versions companies told me but they also specify that’s an average.

80% efficiency for low load over a long time seems reasonable to me

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My guess is that their formula doesn’t factor for the additional features such as wifi and I believe that unit has gps (but might be wrong)

The 80-85% efficiency rating that companies have provided me are all from brands and models that are more basic and don’t have those extra things

My cellpowa actually seems to be closer to 90% efficient

I would suggest you test your batteries. Unplug the unit before bed and see what it says

27 hours? Set an alarm for 10 and 15 hours later and see if it says 17 then 12 hours left. Maybe your display estimate isn’t accurate or they didn’t calibrate something right from the factory

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My guess is that their formula doesn’t factor for the additional features such as wifi and I believe that unit has gps (but might be wrong)

The 80-85% efficiency rating that companies have provided me are all from brands and models that are more basic and don’t have those extra things

I would suggest you test your batteries. Unplug the unit before bed and see what it says

27 hours? Set an alarm for 10 and 15 hours later and see if it says 17 then 12 hours left. Maybe your display estimate isn’t accurate or they didn’t calibrate something right from the factory
I'll do this tonight and report back! I might end up getting a cellpowa too lol I'm just worried about having so many potential fire hazards around the house :flushed-face:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do this tonight and report back! I might end up getting a cellpowa too lol I'm just worried about having so many potential fire hazards around the house :flushed-face:
In all fairness to lipo batteries, since you're not even close to 100w load- there is very little risk... my system will pull 600-800w for about 25 hours on battery, that makes me avoid lipo and prefer agm

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I unplugged it last night with a 35 watt load and it said 18 hours remaining. I checked 10 hours later and it showed 9h 34m remaining so I guess the estimates are ~1.5 hrs off.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At least it’s 1.5 hours in your favor!
That's true! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I will say it charges back to full surprisingly fast and we've had a few storm related power outages where we got power back for a bit just for it to go out again and this could actually prove useful in those situations.

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @VintageReefer

I have seen your name in multiple posts about battery power stations. Similar to the OP, I hope to power two MP 40s to keep water flowing to keep things alive in a power outage. I figure if I want to power my main pumps, two COR20s with each using 70 watts each that will eat up any battery back up.

How do battery back up work with an apex? I assume I will be forced to plug the MP40 to the battery back-up and not an apex plug, correct? With prime day coming, I would assume some stations will be on sale, what do you recommend I buy in case I lose power after a hurricane?

Thank you!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello @VintageReefer

I have seen your name in multiple posts about battery power stations. Similar to the OP, I hope to power two MP 40s to keep water flowing to keep things alive in a power outage. I figure if I want to power my main pumps, two COR20s with each using 70 watts each that will eat up any battery back up.

How do battery back up work with an apex? I assume I will be forced to plug the MP40 to the battery back-up and not an apex plug, correct? With prime day coming, I would assume some stations will be on sale, what do you recommend I buy in case I lose power after a hurricane?

Thank you!
Do you have a killawatt or way to measure the wattage the cor takes up? I’m a little confused by true power consumption on it. The specs say 100w power supply, the description says less than 50w at full power, and your saying 70w. Did you measure 70w draw somehow or is it a guess?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello @VintageReefer

Thank you!
I’ll dm you. These situations become unique and custom based on each individual situation and the owners preferences. We’ll end up derailing the thread. I’ll definitely help find a solution for you

DO YOU PRIORITIZE YOUR TANK AFTER A LONG DAY?

• Yes, my tank helps me with day-to-day stress relief.

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Yes, even if I don't feel like it.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • It depends on the day.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • No, I'll try to save my "tank work" for a different day.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back