Are you a ONE HIT WONDER?

Are you in danger of becoming a "one hit wonder?"

• YES since I'm on my first tank!

Votes: 65 12.5%
  • No, even though I'm on my first tank I am in this for more than one hit!

Votes: 154 29.5%
  • No because I've cut numerous reefing tracks!

Votes: 284 54.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
one hit wonder.jpg

Are you a one hit wonder and don't even know it?

A one-hit wonder is any entity that achieves mainstream popularity, often for only one piece of work, and becomes known among the general public solely for that momentary success.

I was thinking about members who have joined all "gung ho" about saltwater aquariums who set up a beautiful system and when trouble hits they crumble and the tank comes down. That's a reefer one hit wonder. Some of you reading today are on your first reef tank and are super excited about it but how do you keep from being a statistic? How do you keep from becoming a one hit wonder?

Experienced reefers please share some tips for not becoming a reefing one hit wonder! What are some ways new hobbyists can prepare for and mitigate tank troubles that might make them end up quitting the hobby?

Here are some tips:

1. Prepare for the worst. Get ready for algae and fish disease by learning before you get it. Prepare by stocking up on items that will help you beat it once you do get it because you will get it. Prepare by learning how to mitigate algae and fish disease breakouts NOW before it comes. - @revhtree

2. Have a friend in the hobby that you can really lean on. Someone who you can call. Someone who would be ready to come over and help you or mail you necessities in a pinch. @Billldg

3. The only advise I can give a newbie is to collect as much as knowledge as possible and start with easy stuff. @Lasse

4. Those who are in this hobby for a long time and have long running systems tend to have relatively simple set ups and can then spend more time enjoying and appreciating their aquarium's inhabitants. Even a nice aquarium can become a drudgery if it is too complicated to maintain. @Nano sapiens

5. Think out your stock list in advance. @ReeferBlaine

6. I believe in keeping it simple and letting the tanks more or less run themselves. By that I mean feeding the tank often, and with a mixture of quality foods, not obsessing over numbers, and keeping my hands off as much as possible. @Rybren

7. Gotta roll with the punches in this hobby. One week it's tragedy, the next everything is fantastic. As you progress, and learn to identify/deal with more situations, the fantastic weeks begin to outnumber the tragedy. @living_tribunal

8. I have a long term goal and I have broken it down to smaller steps, and each step is broken down into easy attainable goals. My forever tanks will not be in existence for several more years, my first tank is still ugly, but I am happy in the way it is going. @Ippyroy

9. Patience. Experience. Willingness to learn. Ability to take advice. Ability to overcome failure. @Thespammailaccount

10. If you can't see the tank, be wary of the advice. Find someone who has a documented track record of success and try to emulate their approach. @Kjames

11. Another point I'd like to make is don't keep looking for the solution without finding the cause. A solution without knowing the cause is a band aid at best and snake oil at the worst. It's always best to fix the cause than change stuff for a solution in a bottle. @Ippyroy

12. Observe and learn the rhythm of your system and develop a maintenance schedule that you are able to stick to. Don't assume that copying exactly how someone else runs their tank, is how you will find success. @mattdg

13. Don't go crazy buying every gadget when you start the hobby. I have been keeping fish about 65 years and still only have lights, Diy skimmer DIY algae scrubber, some power heads and that's about it. This hobby is not expensive, we make it expensive. @PaulB

14. If you are asking for help, provide as much details as possible, engage in the conversation. Quality of feedback is proportional to quality of information that goes into the question. @Reefer1978

15. Be very wary of anecdotal information and advice...."this worked for me" or "I know someone that....". Having been a hobbyist all of my life and many years in the industry, this will kill you. @schooncw

16. Good husbandry and stability will get you everywhere. Successful tanks 30 years ago have a lot in common with successful tanks today. @kenchilada

17. Reef within your budget- If that purple tang is going to take saving up for 6 months to afford, how will you handle it if the animal dies? If your $600 lights go out, can you afford to replace them? I've seen a lot of posts where people explode when they can't handle things like this. Don't buy what you can't replace. @Indytraveler83

18. The best advice I could give is not to only ask someone what they do, but ask them the reasons they do it. Make sure you understand what impacts it may have. Once you understand the why it can go a long way to helping understand if it has a chance of working for you. @Brew12

19. The biggest key to success for me has been getting the whole family involved. Initially my wife didn’t understand why we would even want a fish tank, now she‘s addicted to blastos and gonis and helps with the tank maintenance. @BlennyTime

Last edited:

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to worry about this as we speak! I've set up my first two tanks with 100% intention of being in it for the long haul but now the prospect of moving internationally within the next year is very real. Would love so much to take at least the big tank with me but I also have to be budget-conscious. Looking into options. The move would be to Europe so it's a little more complicated than a truck to Canada...

Not exactly a tank crash "trouble" but falls into the category of temporarily leaving the hobby...

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to keep the first post updated with some of your tips and credit you with them so get your tips in!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Starting to worry about this as we speak! I've set up my first two tanks with 100% intention of being in it for the long haul but now the prospect of moving internationally within the next year is very real. Would love so much to take at least the big tank with me but I also have to be budget-conscious. Looking into options. The move would be to Europe so it's a little more complicated than a truck to Canada...

I would work to find a local in the hobby who you can start to interact with now. Maybe they could start cycling some live rock for you, of course you pay for it, and when you get there you can keep the dream alive! Where are you moving maybe we can help?

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would work to find a local in the hobby who you can start to interact with now. Maybe they could start cycling some live rock for you, of course you pay for it, and when you get there you can keep the dream alive! Where are you moving maybe we can help?
Marseille, France most likely. My wife does have family in France so not a bad idea to get them to start working on a tank then ship everything once it's ready. They've also kept saltwater aquariums before so they have experience. Great suggestion!

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other.
I started with a 65 gallon custome acrylic 48x18x17 when the right side had a reaction to rubber cement vapors (though it was fully cured) before placing against the side, I replaced it with my current tank a marine land 75. Since my 65 was standard dimensions I was able to reuse everything. About a whole saturday to do a transfer. Even though this is technically my second tank I still consider it my first go at reef tanks.

U

User1

View Badges
Are you a one hit wonder and don't even know it?

What, no Tommy TuTone or phone call to Jenny @ 867-5309? Or My Sharona from The Knack? Or Quarterflash Harden My Heart? Hmm...that is probably enough :)

But wait, there is more. Eddie Murphy Party All the Time :D

Ok, that is really it. Back to reefing.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
|A one-hit wonder is any entity that achieves mainstream popularity, often for only one piece of work, and becomes known among the general public solely for that momentary success.

Yes, and I even have a badge to prove it :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to add my first tip to not becoming a one hit wonder.

1. Prepare for the worst. Get ready for algae and fish disease by learning before you get it. Prepare by stocking up on items that will help you beat it once you do get it because you will get it. Prepare by learning how to mitigate algae and fish disease breakouts NOW before it comes.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not in this for the short term. My current tank is my first tank, and I have had plenty of up and downs. 1 year in the tank crashed and I lost almost all of my coral, I did go to a dark place temporarily, but that’s when I excepted the fact that tank crashes can happen and that I was up to the challenge. I knew a tank crash could happen when I got into the hobby, but when it happens for the first time it can be shocking. I leaned on some support from R2R, mainly @Flippers4pups, and shortly was back on track knowing that it could happen again. I feel that you have to be able to except that it could happen. Since then I had a massive nitrite spike which killed several acro’s and a few lps, but having a better understanding that it could happen I just corrected the situation and kept on going. Now I am in the middle of a bug upgrade, and this time I will put to use the lessons I learned. The biggest lesson I learned, and it’s the MAIN one every reefer with time in this hobby preaches and understands is to have PATIENCE.

1. Have patience
2. Understand tank crashes can happen to anyone.
3. Have someone to lean on

Last edited:

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol would like to be. You raised harlequin fry to settlement? Why yes. Yes I did ;) But then again if I can figure this out there is a good chance of keeping a tank going however experience and a willingness to overcome failure will be the deciding factor

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I do not think that my tank is a one hit wonder and I'm think that I know what I'm doing - tanks, fishes and other water related things have been both my hobby and works for nearly 50 years.

The only advise I can give a newbie is to collect as much as knowledge as possible and start with easy stuff. Get your information from different sources - use your own head in order to evaluate the advises you get. There is many ways to establish a saltwater tank but few ways that is sustainable for every single person - and every person have to found its own way that will be sustainable for the person you are. If you do not is a picky and careful person - stay away from methods that demand 1 drop of this, 4 drops of that and so on for every day. You have to found your own way and as been said by others - patience is the word. There is no quick fix that not create other problems down the line.

And - Do not fix it if it is not broken

Sincerely Lasse

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that some 'one hit wonders' are in it for the 15 minutes of fame, then when the accolades slow down or stop the thrill fades away and the aquarium looses it's appeal and neglect sets in. After that, it's take down time or start a new one to try and capture the lime light again. Or, after the system's heyday, the system starts to degrade with time due to improper/inadequate husbandry...and then frustration sets in and it gets taken down.

Those who are in this hobby for a long time and have long running systems tend to have relatively simple set ups and can then spend more time enjoying and appreciating their aquarium's inhabitants. Even a nice aquarium can become a drudgery if it is too complicated to maintain.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great stuff and adding tips to the first post!

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping fish for over 55 years, but have only been on the salty side for 12 years.
In that 12 years, I have had a 28G, a 30G, a 75G, a 120G, a 10G, and a 3G, plus a number of frag tanks. At times, I have had 3 tanks running at the same time, but I currently only have the 28G and 120G running.

I believe in keeping it simple and letting the tanks more or less run themselves. By that I mean feeding the tank often, and with a mixture of quality foods, not obsessing over numbers, and keeping my hands off as much as possible.

As Lasse says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not what I was expecting the 1 hit wonder to be about, but I will add it's a good idea to branch out once you've established yourself as a reefer. Somewhere in the 2-5 year range. Potentially sooner but I wouldn't rush out to do too much too fast.

You have your main reef tank, be it mixed, sps, softy, whatever start another tank but not just for overflow from your current tank. Try a new type of coral. Run a different method. Get a fish that is not compatible with your current livestock. Start a reef jar on your nightstand.. One of the things that really saved me reefing was getting into other marine creatures when things weren't going well. I raised dwarf cuttlefish, then octopus. Now that is on the extreme end of things, but maybe it's as simple as getting into fragging and trading and selling corals in addition to growing out that beautiful display tank.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Come on get your tips in!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 41.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 111 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back