As a post-00s and just graduated from university, I find 3d printer filament is very complicated. What materials are suitable for beginners to use?

shengliu611

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that many people recommend that beginners start with PLA, which is easy to use and operate, gradually try other materials, and gradually master the characteristics and printing skills of different materials. Among the many 3d printer filament, I want to ask you what do you think about this?

Sespe Badger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started several years ago with a Creality 10mini. It is printing right now on the table next to me, making stuff for my new aquarium. It has been extensively modified!
I started with PLA, and got pretty good at it. I also work in props for theaters, and printed a ton of stuff for them. But then I wanted to print ABS. I vented my enclosure to the outside, figured out the new settings, and have 3d printed items sitting on the dashboard of my truck in full sun today.
Then I jumped back in to saltwater and read that PETG is the way to go. So I got some and started printing. I do not have PETG dialed in yet, but I'm getting there.
Start with PLA, certainly. The jump to PETG is much smaller than the jump to ABS.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, i would print most of your reef stuff in PETG. i use largely hatchbox and polymaker, but there isn't a huge difference in any of the brands i have tried. For what it's worth, PLA is great too, i printed an urchin hat that has held up pretty good for abt 2 years under water, but most stuff i print that gets wet or needs to be a little less brittle i print out of PETG.

masterofstuff124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
petg, abs, asa are all aquarium safe. slightly more complicated then pla but also not really. petg benefits from an enclosure. abs and asa enclosure is mandatory. Petg has some flex and is pretty popular for structural things and is pretty safe to print. abs is the same material as most of the worlds black plastic items. asa is very similar to abs but has slightly better characteristics for printing and "should" be stronger and more UV resistant. seemingly asa is replacing abs in printing. Both abs and asa should be vented imo. I recently started printing asa and have been very impressed. PLA should be better at reproducing fine details for models, toys, etc. BUT with a bit of tuning youd be hard pressed to tell the difference between petg, asa, pla on a visual level. of note pla has a strong "sugar" smell that I find disgusting. Ive also seen pla disintegrate in aquariums. Whatever material you choose you should run an airfilter nearby with carbon in it. petg is likely your best choice.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back