As close to science as I will likely get.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
latest test:
n: 38
p .6 (changed gfo)
alk: 189
calc: <400 (gotta fix that)

Glass may be staying cleaner than it has been, but there is no noticeable difference in the sand bed or on the rocks, that can't be attributed to the urchin.

I suspect mb7 is doing something, I've just had high p for so long, there is a lot of work to do.
Clean, for what the bottle says, takes more than a few weeks to show noticeable changes, so I'll reserve judgement till June or so.

Of note, I am not giving it the four hours without filtration that they want. some days are an hour, most days two hours. additionally, I will need to find a solution to the budget manufacturing of the OIAIO skimmer. the drain pops off when I try to empty the cup, probably don't need to explain in depth why that would be an issue. A zip tie may work, there may be something 3dprinting can do, and I'll puzzle a longer-term solution for both skimmers.
IMHO - for you to have meaningful results it's important for you to try as hard as possible to follow the directions of the product. Otherwise - any conclusions could be suspect. At a minimum, I would do your dosing the same each time - if you're choosing not to follow the manufacturers instructions

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20240501_202417800_HDR.jpg

Ca: 440
Sal: 1.025
Temp: 82.2

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most recent nutrient readings.
I mean - what is the point? Maybe it would make sense for you to make an ongoing graph - so that everyone reading can see the prior results - posting a table each day may not be as helpful - since I don't think many people can relate the numbers to what you're doing?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm just logging it now. Down the road there will be a graph, but I'm not interested in posting that every new reading I take.
Just a quick comment - which is similar to something said early on - It seems like you don't really have a protocol - so no one can interpret what you're posting - which is kind of the antithesis of what this thread is supposed to me. I'm not saying you're doing something wrong - its just that I keep getting notifications - which are your tank parameters - its not clear whether its a question, a conclusion or something else - I would @Randy Holmes-Farley to re-evalutate what we're doing here?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick comment - which is similar to something said early on - It seems like you don't really have a protocol - so no one can interpret what you're posting - which is kind of the antithesis of what this thread is supposed to me. I'm not saying you're doing something wrong - its just that I keep getting notifications - which are your tank parameters - its not clear whether its a question, a conclusion or something else - I would @Randy Holmes-Farley to re-evalutate what we're doing here?
I think you might consider turning off your notifications for this thread if it’s that much of a burden for you.

I personally am interested in following along. This is a hobby forum and reefers of any experience or background should be allowed to post. Consider it a rough draft. Let him test out if MB works to reduce nutrient readings in his tank and allow us who enjoy this follow along. Thank you.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you might consider turning off your notifications for this thread if it’s that much of a burden for you.

I personally am interested in following along. This is a hobby forum and reefers of any experience or background should be allowed to post. Consider it a rough draft. Let him test out if MB works to reduce nutrient readings in his tank and allow us who enjoy this follow along. Thank you.
Unfortunately - the forum was my idea - and I wrote the post at the top - courtesy of Daniel@R2R. The goal of the forum was to encourage questions, and discussions of the experiments. So - without offense - I think you're off base.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately - the forum was my idea - and I wrote the post at the top - courtesy of Daniel@R2R. The goal of the forum was to encourage questions, and discussions of the experiments. So - without offense - I think you're off base.
Randy, the moderator of the chemistry forum already said that the thread was OK here.

Look at the sticky post above this subform: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/threads-suited-to-this-forum.963660/

Just a reminder, this is the experimentation forum.

If you are doing an experiment, or proposing an experiment, this is a suitable place for such a discussion. Other places at Reef2Reef more subject specific may be suitable as well.

If you are asking a question that you hope to get an answer for (and the question is not about designing an experiment), this is likely the wrong place to post the question.

Unfortunately - the forum was my idea
Doesn’t mean you can start telling people what qualifies as a proper experiment in a hobby forum. You aren’t even a staff member here. I think you are being way too harsh and for no good reason. Please don’t take your “job” too seriously; it kills the fun of the hobby.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Randy, the moderator of the chemistry forum already said that the thread was OK here.

Look at the sticky post above this subform: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/threads-suited-to-this-forum.963660/

Doesn’t mean you can start telling people what qualifies as a proper experiment in a hobby forum. You aren’t even a staff member here. I think you are being way too harsh and for no good reason. Please don’t take your “job” too seriously; it kills the fun of the hobby.
I'm not going to argue with you. I asked the OP a question, and made a suggestion that a graph would be easier to follow. I'm not going to debate a conversation from months ago. If the moderator of the forum feels my comments over the last day have been somehow inappropriate, they can certainly let me know.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First: it's interesting to me that this thread, of all that I post on r2r, is the one that seems to get people the most emotionally charged.

Second: I thought I laid out fairly clearly in the title and in the first post that this will be more "from the hip" or "spirit led" than lab conditioned.

c: My three goals seem to have been:
c.1: "posterity". Not sure what I meant by that, but I may or may not be hitting it.
c.b: ease of reference (for me). wherein I would post ongoing data collected. those naturally include nutrient readings and require no interaction from third parties. In fact, ease of reference would be aided by a long string of my data posts.
c.3: get one more entry in the supporting member giveaway. That was succeeded, even though I did not win anything that particular month.

d: I have now drunk my science juice
Animated GIF

and will soon post a mid-term evaluation or observation. call it what you will, I will right words, hoping they are coherent, about the status of my tank and it's changes.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First: it's interesting to me that this thread, of all that I post on r2r, is the one that seems to get people the most emotionally charged.

Second: I thought I laid out fairly clearly in the title and in the first post that this will be more "from the hip" or "spirit led" than lab conditioned.

c: My three goals seem to have been:
c.1: "posterity". Not sure what I meant by that, but I may or may not be hitting it.
c.b: ease of reference (for me). wherein I would post ongoing data collected. those naturally include nutrient readings and require no interaction from third parties. In fact, ease of reference would be aided by a long string of my data posts.
c.3: get one more entry in the supporting member giveaway. That was succeeded, even though I did not win anything that particular month.

d: I have now drunk my science juice
Animated GIF

and will soon post a mid-term evaluation or observation. call it what you will, I will right words, hoping they are coherent, about the status of my tank and it's changes.
FWIW - I was not trying to get you to stop doing what you were doing - I was trying to help you arrange your results so that others could make sense of the results you were posting. And yes - you made your idea clear from the start. I think with all the data it would be interesting if you could put it together and see if anything came out of it.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - I was not trying to get you to stop doing what you were doing - I was trying to help you arrange your results so that others could make sense of the results you were posting. And yes - you made your idea clear from the start. I think with all the data it would be interesting if you could put it together and see if anything came out of it.
That makes sense, I haven't set an end date, but when it comes (probably at the end of the mb7 bottle, 6ish months from day 1), I will have charts. I at present have a sheet with the readings and graphs as well. just takes more effort than I want to put in to post them here very new reading.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back