• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

ASD 3 Day Shipping Delay

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"No one" - again you deal with absolutes. So you have researched the shipping policy of everyone? That's ridiculous like your unwavering support for shippers. It's kinda weird.

Fwiw, I had a purchase recently from Dr. Reef that had some troubles, and surprise surprise...he refunded it! Didn't you say you were the industry expert or something?
Can't comment on the specifics of your issue. But - the policy on Dr. Reefs site is very similar to everyone else.
However, I am aware of several instances where he has taken specific cases into account and refunded money. However - with regards to shipping delays, at least the policy is identical - losses are not covered.... And notice his suggestion - that the buyer can buy shipping insurance.

Insurance​

In case of shipping mishap/delays, if you have added insurance we will cover your entire livestock but if there is no insurance then you will have to file a claim with ups yourself and wait for them to pay you back for the loss.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First. I disagree with the comment that 'they are a business that can absorb a loss much better than a custome'. The customer might be a millionaire, and the company not doing as well. (Note - im not commenting on this company - just the general comment you made).

Second. It all depends on their policies, and how they are posted. It is fairly widely known that shipping living things is not covered by UPS/FedEX. I would say it's pretty standard for companies to replace (at least some) items that have a shipping issue (and If I was a shipper, I would have insurance to cover it) - but here is another option: https://shipyouraquatics.com/insurance. - For the buyer
Is this satire?

“The customer might be a millionaire”

lol.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for the concision.
ASD is just sooo bad at things it’s hard to keep it straight.

Not offering DOA because of shipping is just silly and I would absolutely do a charge back on my CC if they tried to pull that shadey business.

Let them deal with the credit card company, it’s more hassle for them to deal with as a result of their poor practices.

I’d said for Years now ASD is one of the worst online shops and things like this are exactly why. Well that, and them shipping out tons of AEFW frags years ago…..
I am not defending ASD - nor criticizing the OP or others with problems. The reality is that if you tried a CC charge back you would not likely succeed once the company provided (to the credit card company) the shipping conditions that the buyer had to agree to. I will say I never order online (any more) due to problems like this. If I did, I would buy buyers insurance for any living purchase..

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not defending ASD - nor criticizing the OP or others with problems. The reality is that if you tried a CC charge back you would not likely succeed once the company provided (to the credit card company) the shipping conditions that the buyer had to agree to. I will say I never order online (any more) due to problems like this. If I did, I would buy buyers insurance for any living purchase..
I’ve done one before and got my money back. The CC companies almost always side with the customer. I paid for something and didn’t receive it. End of story as far as the CC company terms of use go.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy all my coral online. For many years and I have been in shipping situations before.

It’s industry standard for companies to refund, in the form of credit, for losses due to shipping.

The cost of shipping typically is not refunded. You paid for a package to be shipped to you. It arrived. That service is complete.

The livestocks condition however is not as promised, so that is the only item refunded. You paid for shipping + healthy coral. You received a box - shipping complete. Inside the box dead coral - did not get what you paid for - that should be credited

I have had vendors give cash refunds but most give credit for the items lost and not the shipping. They are taking a loss and your loss is the shipping charge

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add this on - the best corals and business practices come from Mom and Pop shops or little guys. The big vendors don’t seem to have as much care for their customers as the little guys. Buying from hobbiests also has been highly successful for me

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true about the heat packs, but remember AquaSd is San Diego based, were still getting overnight temps in the low 60's here in So Cal., thus it's a dice roll to not heat pack it.
In my case I sent an email that they responded to that included info on the unseasonably HOT temps.
However, a prudent company would research that. It’s not that hard or that time consuming. Many already do it and will hold shipments if temps warrant.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this satire?

“The customer might be a millionaire”

lol.
Kind of satire:), yes. But I thought it matched your comment to which I was referring. Its simply not true that a business shipping live animals can always afford to take the loss, Its also IMHO, not R2R's job to mitigate sponsor behavior unless they are doing something illegal. It is also possible that people claim false DOA's - so most companies have very strict language that covers these bases. HOWEVEF, I agree that sellers could and should do more to protect buyers - starting with 'If you buy living animals from our company, we recommend that you purchase buyers insurance, as we do not cover delays related to weather, etc'. Again - those are just my opinions.

2 of the most widely misunderstood issues with regards to reefing online is the issue of who covers shipping losses if its the transporters (UPS, FEDEX, etc) fault (they have no responsibility) and second, the idea that home insurance covers aquaria (Some (not all) cover damage if the tank suddenly breaks - they will replace the tank, stand (if needed), and damage to the house - but not livestock. For that you need a special policy in most cases as well).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve done one before and got my money back. The CC companies almost always side with the customer. I paid for something and didn’t receive it. End of story as far as the CC company terms of use go.
I have done one also - and the CC gave me my money back HOWEVER, it took months where I was required to document that the company did not return phone calls etc to the CC Company or any of my emails (This was a $1000+ order, that was also delayed for days. The (CC Company) initial response after they read the terms of shipping was sorry, you're going to lose. Even the CC representative said 'Living items are not covered by the carriers, so whether you win or lose depends strictly on the terms on the sellers website'. In the end it was covered as fraud. (and I had pictures of the items in the original box/bags taken within 5 minutes of the shippers timed delivery). So my point is merely - if I was buying online - I would be certain who is responsible for delays - and if it's not the shipper, buy insurance. PS - the credit card was a 'higher end' card, and I was actually surprised how many hoops I had to jump through.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done one also - and the CC gave me my money back HOWEVER, it took months where I was required to document that the company did not return phone calls etc to the CC Company or any of my emails (This was a $1000+ order, that was also delayed for days. The (CC Company) initial response after they read the terms of shipping was sorry, you're going to lose. Even the CC representative said 'Living items are not covered by the carriers, so whether you win or lose depends strictly on the terms on the sellers website'. In the end it was covered as fraud. (and I had pictures of the items in the original box/bags taken within 5 minutes of the shippers timed delivery). So my point is merely - if I was buying online - I would be certain who is responsible for delays - and if it's not the shipper, buy insurance.
Nice post MFish1. I want to clarify that I'm not arguing what AquaSD's terms state - that's easily accessible for anyone to read. I'm arguing that - in my opinion - I feel it's a crap policy. Lots of lessons learned and I need to be more careful with my purchases in the future.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All UPS packages carry a $100 liability insurance. Many vendors don’t give you the option to purchase additional insurance. I always take it if the option is offered.
I may try to file a claim with UPS but my guess is it will be rejected because the box was soaking wet and they’ll blame packaging for the losses.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All UPS packages carry a $100 liability insurance. Many vendors don’t give you the option to purchase additional insurance. I always take it if the option is offered.
I may try to file a claim with UPS but my guess is it will be rejected because the box was soaking wet and they’ll blame packaging for the losses.

And if ups blames packaging that’s further proof it’s the seller at fault.

This thread has gotten out of hand. I had my own issue with aqua sd a few months back. I posted the situation in vendor feedback, they responded to me and helped. When my corals arrived I had another issue, I responded in the thread, they refunded me

Go to vendor feedback - it’s a place to work out issues as well as leave feedback

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread has become primarily a feedback thread, and as such has been moved to the appropriate feedback forum. Per our feedback policy only those who were involved in the transaction (the buyer and the seller) will be able to comment in this thread from here on out.

If you are neither the OP nor the vendor but have a similar issue to address, please start a separate thread here in this forum (you may CLICK HERE).

If you would like to start a thread to continue discussion on one of the other topics that was covered in this conversation, you are welcome to do so in the appropriate forum in accordance with our terms of service. We do ask that threads intended to be general discussions not bring specific parties' names into the discussion (as this may turn to a feedback discussion resulting in the thread being moved to the appropriate feedback forum).

Thank you to everyone who participated in this conversation! Have a great weekend!

OP
OP
Al1sta1r

Al1sta1r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has become primarily a feedback thread, and as such has been moved to the appropriate feedback forum. Per our feedback policy only those who were involved in the transaction (the buyer and the seller) will be able to comment in this thread from here on out.

Thank you, I meant for this post originally to be a discussion on acclimation procedures and recommendations for moving forward with the issue, but it quickly got out of hand; I apologize.
Thank you to everyone who participated in this conversation! Have a great weekend!
You as well!

To everybody else, I posted a separate feedback forum specifically addressing the issue and have yet to hear a response. Thank you for participating and sharing your experiences. They've been insightful.

OP
OP
Al1sta1r

Al1sta1r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final update:

AquaSD has been very understanding and has refunded some of the corals as well as replacing some. Their customer service has bounced back some of my distrust, however I will still struggle to order online again.

Thank you @AquaSD for your assistance!

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 11.1%
Back