asterinas eating zoas

VirginiaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there is no easy fix to this. i have a 29 gallon saltwater tank thats a mixed reef. 1 tomato clown, 1 springeri damsel, 1 royal gramma. i caught some asterinas eating my zoas after lots of them went missing over a long period of time. I checked the parameters of the water, everything else in the tank is happy, removed as many of the zoa eating starfish as i could when they were in the act. Any suggestions on a remedy of sorts so i can have zoas without the fear of them all being eaten? thanks for any help or suggestions. long time lurker here.

I know there are a few options such as:
1. get all new substrate, rockwork that is dry , frag corals as needed and dip before adding to new tank. (fun on some levels but not preferred of course).
2. try my luck with a harlequin shrimp.
3. just accept it and move on and do nothing.

Clownfish.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine tend to gather on the glass after lights out so I scrape them off with a net in the morning. They seem to come in waves. None one day then a bunch then they thin out. I did a dry rock barebottom start up a little over a year ago and they ended up in that tank. They just appear in every tank I have ever had. A harlequin shrimp will eat them but star fish is the only thing they eat and will starve when they are gone.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one patch of zoas being eaten by Asterinas. I pulled the zoa rock right when the lights came on and manually removed a bunch of stars. Now I still a few every morning, but the colony is growing faster than their being eaten again since culling the numbers. I’d say regular manual removal keeps the number of zoa eating asterinas low enough to not cause a large impact. Definitely not worth changing rocks IMO.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME they only seem to go after zoas that are already doing poorly.

Are the zoas doing poorly because they are being attacked? Are they being attacked because they are doing poorly? Don't know. But what I can't explain is why I can have two frags right next to each other, and these guys will attack one and not the other. They could even be frags off the same mother colony. I have a lot of zoas and a lot of these guys and most of them aren't being devoured.

I did try and get rid of them at one point but short of bleaching everything and starting fresh I don't know how I would even do that.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back