At witts end with tank setup, now I can see dowels..

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread will be to air some of my frustration with tank/stand process and to allow for any advice/comments from all you helpful people that call this forum home.

About 4 months ago, I bought a nyos opus 440 slim line. Finally put the stand together around Mother’s Day, and had the tank sitting on it till now. In the meantime I was having problems where one corner of the tank came off the stand enough where I could slide a piece of paper underneath no matter how level it was.

B586195E-15AF-4BFA-A210-01ED7284D45C.jpeg

So, we moved the tank on the other side of the room, I did a deep dive into the stand to make sure it was all out together right and right as it should be. After showing my problem to a friend of mine who sets up tanks he recommended for this instance I utilize a .5” thick yoga mat. Im aware this is not for leveling, rather helping any abnormalities in the stand allow the tank to be protected and supported underneath since it’s rimless. I put it underneath, made sure it all lined up close as possible and cut to size.

Started filling the tank and have been just turning on the unit for 2/3 hours at a time while I’ve been home. Today however, at about 80% ful, l looked down and realized I can see the dowel between the front panel of the stand and the top! I’d assume this isn’t structural? (At least I hope)

3E041E8C-947C-4787-9E11-A2BD4B24CB6F.jpeg

Lastly, here’s the way the tank sits on the foam pad. Tank has been leveled at dry then 50% full and more after to account for any changing. The left side definitely has more pressure on it in the right.

image.jpg

I’m really just looking for what to do at this point. Should I be concerned? Should I contact @NYOS AQUATICS

SpyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned, I don't understand why you wouldn't contact Nyos.

That support sagging would would make me nervous and makes me think of the red sea tank failure issues due to the stand sagging from poor cross support.

OP
OP
Paris by Night

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually since the front glass does not seem supported at all, I am just thinking another Red Sea nightmare. I might be inclined to ditch the stand all together and do a 20/40 extruded.
Yeah extruded aluminum was a thought and I’d trust the stand without the trouble anymore. Although on the overhang, that’s how it comes crazy enough. I know some Red Sea tanks like the 250 have an overhang over the front door that isn’t supported also

OP
OP
Paris by Night

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned, I don't understand why you wouldn't contact Nyos.

That support sagging would would make me nervous and makes me think of the red sea tank failure issues due to the stand sagging from poor cross support.
Honestly I just kept putting it off since the tank was dry and just sitting in the side room where nobody sees it. However, that would’ve been the best use of the time to contact them. After talking to 2 lfs about the problem and a friend that does aquaculture and setups I was reassured I could use the .5” foam so I just bit the bullet against my gut.

drbrivers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider getting a different stand from another manufacturer or even custom built one in this situation.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you can see the dowel, the top platform of the stand isn't fitting flush. I would take it apart and reseat it. Tap it all around with a rubber mallet. It should be 100% flush. Maybe try a little silicone grease on the dowels.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back