OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hanna responded and said the lot might be bad and are sending me a replacement reagent pack.

I’ll update when I get them. I also am expecting the 736-11 calibration reference soon.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Imo, you're being way too picky............there's a certain amount of operator variability in how long you mix reagent, if you got it all into the vial and out of the pack. Some particles can stick to the side and on and on.

It's debatable if any living system is going to be the same minute by minute at those type of levels.

Do you really think a coral is going to react to an environment differently if the reading is .02 or .09 for example........... I seriously doubt it. Even the most nutrient reactive coral like an acropora isn't going to grow or color differently in my experience.

Just pick a range that's acceptable to you and go with it.

------------------

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tested fresh mixed saltwater? That would be a better test to see any real variability. I use IO and have tested mine many times and never got anything but zero with the 736. I always test after it's been mixing for 24 hours.

Even if you did see some variability at a zero level you can"t expect a $60 egg to be 100% accurate.
I don't think it's asking too much for a tester that costs $60.00 and then Reagent that costs you $15.00 a box, on top of what they charge you to ship every time you order it that you can depend on it to be accurate.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, you're being way too picky............there's a certain amount of operator variability in how long you mix reagent, if you got it all into the vial and out of the pack. Some particles can stick to the side and on and on.

It's debatable if any living system is going to be the same minute by minute at those type of levels.

Do you really think a coral is going to react to an environment differently if the reading is .02 or .09 for example........... I seriously doubt it. Even the most nutrient reactive coral like an acropora isn't going to grow or color differently in my experience.

------------------

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tested fresh mixed saltwater? That would be a better test to see any real variability. I use IO and have tested mine many times and never got anything but zero with the 736. I always test after it's been mixing for 24 hours.

Even if you did see some variability at a zero level you can"t expect a $60 egg to be 100% accurate.
I dont think the OP is asking for too much. If hes complaining about 1-2ppb from multiple of test then yes, but hes getting 2 different readings from 2 different tester testing the same thing. which one do you even trust at this point?

The whole point of a test kit is to give accurate repeatable results. If the basics cant even be established how can the OP use the information received to make adjustments to his tank?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think the OP is asking for too much. If hes complaining about 1-2ppb from multiple of test then yes, but hes getting 2 different readings from 2 different tester testing the same thing. which one do you even trust at this point?

The whole point of a test kit is to give accurate repeatable results. If the basics cant even be established how can the OP use the information received to make adjustments to his tank?
Let's not forget that the specified accuracy of the Checker is +/- 5ppb +/- 5% even if you have performed the preparation exactly as described in the instructions.

So effectively you could get one result of 5 ppb and then next result could be 15ppb from the same test samples and that would be within spec.

These are hobby grade checkers, not lab grade.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

------------------

The OP is only holding hanna to their own standards, they claim an accuracy of 0.02, hanna has also stated that residue in the packet will not affect the results.

If you are claiming a margin of error of 0.07 is acceptable, what lvl would you think is unacceptable? 0.1? At such lvls it would almost be pointless running a test.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP is only holding hanna to their own standards, they claim an accuracy of 0.02, hanna has also stated that residue in the packet will not affect the results.

If you are claiming a margin of error of 0.07 is acceptable, what lvl would you think is unacceptable? 0.1? At such lvls it would almost be pointless running a test.
I think you're referring to the Hanna Phosphate ULR, not the OP's Phosphorus ULR

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're referring to the Hanna Phosphate ULR, not the OP's Phosphorus ULR
They are essentially the same, the only difference is the phosphate checker gives the reading in ppm, they have the same accuracy, hanna have stated in the past that the only difference is the math conversion makes the phosphorus check seem more accurate.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

In my experience it's pointless to chase in a range from.03-.12 for any acro system. You aren't going to see a change in color or growth.

I'd be willing to bet that any of the P04 meters regardless of brand aren't going to give accurate/consistency levels better than a Hanna.

Hanna isn't testing 500 marine systems and giving you those levels of accuracy. People are woefully underestimating the dynamics of a reef tank..........there is variability that can't be accounted for in those tests.
They are giving you those numbers based on known lab levels of P04. It may just be a liquid calibration/comparison.

I have also mentioned other variables that can come into play when a person is doing the test.

You are comparing a handful of tests.....................the statistical sample is waaaay too small.

It's a $65 hobby grade tester, not some lab grade piece of equipment.

The OP hasn't compared it to other Po4 tests that claim the same accuracy. I have used Elos low level P04 test kits and they were comparable.

I have sent out ICP tests and it's reading was similar to the Hannah which I tested the day I filled the vials. I don't know what ICP company's testing protocol is.

Chasing P04 numbers is dumb in a range from .02-.10, it's only going to get you into trouble. It's way more important to look at the corals daily instead of focusing on minutia of some reef grade piece of test equipment.

The only time I make adjustments is when P04 was zero or above .20 and continue to show signs of rising. Zero is when I see corals change for the bad, shutdown and less alk consumption. Pushing above .30 growth slows down...........growth= color from a visual perspective.

I suggested testing fresh mixed saltwater to see if that may garner different results as you are eliminating quite a few variables............so far "crickets". I've done this numerous times and always get zero, but I have never done it 5 or more times in a row so that may offer some other perspective.

I can go on and on about this but it's probably going to be pointless, so I'm done with responding here...... I stated my points. opinions, experience.............If you don't like it that's fine.

If you want something different, look into the Elos low level kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bad batch of reagent!
Just got the 736-11 and here are the comparisons of the old and new 736 (I have done 3 test after pictures and I’m within 2 digits each time).
Hanna is sending me 2 new reagent packs so anyone with Lot 0080 Exp 4/26, might want to be cautious on its readings.

IMG_6114.jpeg IMG_6112.jpeg

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update…
Finally went through my 3-4 week dino stage and took out all the dead stuff. Man does it hurt to see some stuff I’ve had for quite some time! CaliKid, WWC, Ellis aquatics, tck, cherry corals and some hobbyist stuff.

One of my first few corals I got when I did my biocide concrete wall build (that ended up cracking) was a CaliKid- Favia of the Gods… RIP.
Luckily I gave a frag to a local reefer so I can still get a piece back!

Just thought I’d share the ugly side of reefing, it’s not always pretty. Luckily I still have something’s trying to pull through and other stuff that seem like they will be just fine.

Some time this week I’ll clean my glass, it’s been neglected for a month or so as I went pure blues to fight Dino’s, looks like I won again.
Parameters have been on track for over a month so I do hope everything showing even the slightest bit of life, pulls through!

Attachments

• IMG_6407.jpeg
    IMG_6407.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6409.jpeg
    IMG_6409.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 21
Back