Battery backup / uninteruptable power supplies

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with Battery backups. I live in FL yay Hurricane. I want something that will power my retune pump for 8 hrs. if I an away when the power goes out. It normally comes back on in less than 8 hrs. The pump I want to power is about 100 Watts. Has anyone had experience with a reliable options that works and can last that long. I have a small battery backup that lasts 20 min currently but that's a long way from 8 hours. I have a generator so if I am home I can hook that up I am more concerned about power outages when i'm gone.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Our power went out for 8 hours a couple of days ago. Looking into this as well.

Abusfullofnuns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of UPS/battery back ups on my tank. They would power a powerhead for a long time, but they get depleted pretty quick with anything else. I think they have up to a 12a 450w output when used as a back up. For how heavy they are, they don't work that good. I got them from medical equipment, so maybe they are a better UPS than a back up.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finding one that can run a 100 watt pump for 8 hours will be costly if they even make one; mainly for home use.

Home UPS are design to give just enough time to properly shutdown a computer.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered making my own with 2 golf cart batteries, a trickle charger, a dv inverter, and a relay to since when the power is out. I don't know.

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in South Carolina and I'm preparing a little bit I don't think it's going to be bad here, but in case I went to walmart and bought a battery bubbler. It will last for 24 hours on d 2 batteries. It's meant to keep bait fish a live when you go fishing but you can use it for at home in your aquarium to just keep oxygen in there. Cost me 20 just for the bubbler than an extra 15 for batteries cause I bought a good bit of batteries in case it went out for a couple days.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered making my own with 2 golf cart batteries, a trickle charger, a dv inverter, and a relay to since when the power is out. I don't know.

Yea, I think we are pretty much looking into the same thing. AIMS makes a nice inverter that has a built in charger and transfer switch.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious... if the max time before you could get a generator running is 8 hours is it really a major issue? I guess it really depends on the amount of livestock in the tank, but if you consider fish and frags, spend up to 24 hours in a bag when you order online... 8 hours in a tank doesn't seem too bad. Not ideal I know, but is it a major issue? I'd like to know myself.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back