Bedroom reef tank

Jordi Posner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone can help or has advice.

I am currently looking at upgrading my tank that’s in my bedroom at the moment and was wondering if I’d have any problems with my room potentially getting damp and full of smells If my next tank was open top. My current tank is just under 100 litres and has a lid but I’d like to upgrade to something no bigger than 200 litres. If I was to go open top do you think I’ll have problems with dampness and smells? My room isn’t too small and I live in the UK so no constant hot temperatures and in the summer my window is open nearly all the time.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't smell (run quality carbon). I had a 40 gallon in my room and it didn't smell; or get damp. I don't recall the room being more humid but if it did become a problem, you could always buy a small dehumidifier.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be fine. I currently have a 123L tank in my daughter's room that is open top and there are no smells or dampness in her room. An ATO will be a must though unless you wanna top off daily.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't smell (run quality carbon). I had a 40 gallon in my room and it didn't smell; or get damp. I don't recall the room being more humid but if it did become a problem, you could always buy a small dehumidifier.
a dehumidifier will actually cause the tank to evaporate even more. The best way to reduce humidity and evaporation is with temperature, lower temperatures cannot hold as much water.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a dehumidifier will actually cause the tank to evaporate even more. The best way to reduce humidity and evaporation is with temperature, lower temperatures cannot hold as much water.

If the humidity becomes a problem, regardless if it causes it to evaporate more, it will make the room feel less humid.

OP
OP
J

Jordi Posner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! My current tank is an AIO so the back filter section is open anyway it’s only the main tank section that is covered and I’ve never had any problems there. I’ll make sure I’ll get a good quality heater too that can control temperature well.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the humidity becomes a problem, regardless if it causes it to evaporate more, it will make the room feel less humid.
I'd debate this really, it depends on how fast the dehumidifier can take the water out of the air vs how fast the tank accelerates evaporation. A small unit would likely not outcompete the evap of the tank. We have a dehumidifier in the basement and not only do I have to dump out the water daily, according to the Hygrometer it doesn't really make it any less humid down there, so we've been looking at upgrading to an oversized unit to try and make it less humid.

Edit: So for now we use the humidifier AND an AC unit down there to keep it dry.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Window open can be the cure for nearly everything. Give it a shot... My tanks don't smell.

Most people complain about the pumps or buzzing from something. If it bothers you at first, just wait and you will get over it. Everybody is a bit of a beyotch when younger, but you can learn to sleep through almost anything after a while... just ask people who have been in combat, lived near the rail or lived with a spouse while sick coughing and hacking all night... you can learn to live with the hum of a flow or return pump or a bit of noise from a drain, but it might take a few days.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 100L tank in my apartment last spring which caused humidity problems. I have not experienced any issues in my current apartment. It mostly depends on the air quality of your living place and how good the insulation is. Like others have said, you can always run a dehumidifier if needed

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd debate this really, it depends on how fast the dehumidifier can take the water out of the air vs how fast the tank accelerates evaporation. A small unit would likely not outcompete the evap of the tank. We have a dehumidifier in the basement and not only do I have to dump out the water daily, according to the Hygrometer it doesn't really make it any less humid down there, so we've been looking at upgrading to an oversized unit to try and make it less humid.

Edit: So for now we use the humidifier AND an AC unit down there to keep it dry.

I have worked in two different lfs, one with a dehumidifier and one without. You can guess which one felt like a jungle and which one didn't. It can make a massive difference. The benefits if not living in a congo simulator vs having to possibly top off more I'd far greater imo

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have worked in two different lfs, one with a dehumidifier and one without. You can guess which one felt like a jungle and which one didn't. It can make a massive difference. The benefits if not living in a congo simulator vs having to possibly top off more I'd far greater imo
Sure, but there is a huge difference between a "small dehumidifier" like this: Amazon product

and an industrial dehumidifier for a business... I'm not saying a Dehumidifier doesn't work, but one made for a room is not going to outcompete the evaporation of the tank, they would need an oversized unit.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225 total vol water in a 10x10 room--my office. I have a digital humidity thermometer. I run between low 40's to 60's. I keep the office window open at least 2-3 inches even at night and more during the day. Even run the ceiling fan. When I leave the house I have to close the window so it sometimes feels pretty warm and humid. No house heater on yet. I plan to get a small dehumidifier after xmas. Might not run it 24/7.

Only smell is when I drain the skimmer...

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, but there is a huge difference between a "small dehumidifier" like this: Amazon product

and an industrial dehumidifier for a business... I'm not saying a Dehumidifier doesn't work, but one made for a room is not going to outcompete the evaporation of the tank, they would need an oversized unit.

It was not an industrial humidifier by any means. It was just a standard house humidifier

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g in my bedroom and no issues.

I live in Florida, so it's already humid.

ALI_101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks

I'm searching around trying to find information on this. I am considering putting a 250>400l reef tank into our bedroom. It is the only suitable space in our home i could keep it.

This thread answers my questions on smells. What i would like to ask about is noise levels. I like to sleep in complete silence. I had a freshwater aquarium around 25 years ago, and honestly, i recall switching of the filter at nights as the noise it made annoyed me. I really want a reef tank, but with so much equipment required to run them, i guess they must make a bit of noise. Just how much noise though, i would appreciate any info on this.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks

I'm searching around trying to find information on this. I am considering putting a 250>400l reef tank into our bedroom. It is the only suitable space in our home i could keep it.

This thread answers my questions on smells. What i would like to ask about is noise levels. I like to sleep in complete silence. I had a freshwater aquarium around 25 years ago, and honestly, i recall switching of the filter at nights as the noise it made annoyed me. I really want a reef tank, but with so much equipment required to run them, i guess they must make a bit of noise. Just how much noise though, i would appreciate any info on this.
I have a 20g tank in our living room; the only noise you can hear is the sound of water moving into the overflow chamber of our tank. Quite relaxing

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks

see here: https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/worlds-quietest-room-microsoft-anechoic-chamber/

There's always some amount of background noise that we naturally tune out. Air conditioners, fans, space heaters, etc all make some amount of noise and are pretty common in most peoples homes. So sleeping in "complete silence" is mostly impossible. If a hang-on filter bothered you, it's almost assured that a reef tank will bother you too. Granted, most of the equipment is down in the sump area, and you can do various things to help deaden the sound, but it's never going to be silent, and it's probably always going to create as much noise as a simple HOB filter on a freshwater tank...

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back