Best ATO?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, I am in the mayor an ato, and woowhich one is preferred by folks here. My tank is a 90 gallon. Thanks in advance for any and all help

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze is the best. I have used the 3155 for years and it works great. I currently have a osmolator 3 on my larger tank and has been flawless since I started this tank in january. One thing to note is the sensor on the 3155 needs to be cleaned regularly I do it during maintenance just a quick wiping off of the sensor or brush with a soft tooth brush is sufficient. I think if you dont the "scum" or salt builds up on it and causes it to see the water level as higher then what it is. Another way that seems to help if it isnt coming on properly is to direct some flow at it. All my 3155s have had this happen.

In the short time I have been using the 3 it has been set and forget. The 3 is extremely accurate if I remove 50ml of water to thaw frozen food it will read that drop and add water. My return chamber where its at holds 7 gallons. It takes more to trip the high level sensor at a guess I'd say 1/4 gallon, its not a lot.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze is the best. I have used the 3155 for years and it works great. I currently have a osmolator 3 on my larger tank and has been flawless since I started this tank in january. One thing to note is the sensor on the 3155 needs to be cleaned regularly I do it during maintenance just a quick wiping off of the sensor or brush with a soft tooth brush is sufficient. I think if you dont the "scum" or salt builds up on it and causes it to see the water level as higher then what it is. Another way that seems to help if it isnt coming on properly is to direct some flow at it. All my 3155s have had this happen.
Interesting! I’ve had my 3155 for 4 years and cleaned it twice during maintenance and once due to moving. No issue at all has been set and forget for me.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Tunze for many years and had good success but you still have to maintain it. Cleaning the sensor regularly is the most important thing to do. Ironically, my coral qt and fish qt tanks have different Tunzes on them and both reservoirs were empty this morning.

If you have a controller, you might be better off staying within that ecosystem and use their ATO. I use the Neptune ATK for my display and like how errors/problems are incorporated in my Apex alarms.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they still made the jbj units with the mechanical float switches. I have one that's been running for almost 8 years. I wrapped the in sump level sensor in a ladies stocking when I placed it 6 years ago and I have never had to clean it. I always found it a bit funny that so many people prefer the optical switches yet tunze uses a mechanical float switch as the failsafe :thinking-face: I have tunze 5017 and a kamoer ato one 2 also and they both work fine but I would have nothing but jbj units if they still made them. I just prefer the mechanical float switches vs the optical ones. But I also prefer a V8 with a 4 speed manual trans so I adapt.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they still made the jbj units with the mechanical float switches. I have one that's been running for almost 8 years. I wrapped the in sump level sensor in a ladies stocking when I placed it 6 years ago and I have never had to clean it. I always found it a bit funny that so many people prefer the optical switches yet tunze uses a mechanical float switch as the failsafe :thinking-face: I have tunze 5017 and a kamoer ato one 2 also and they both work fine but I would have nothing but jbj units if they still made them. I just prefer the mechanical float switches vs the optical ones. But I also prefer a V8 with a 4 speed manual trans so I adapt.
Even the float switches can fail. The new osmolator 3 uses a thermal switch as the safety.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the float switches can fail. The new osmolator 3 uses a thermal switch as the safety.
Sure they can and will. I spent my career fixing broken and worn out things. I'm of the mindset everything will fail at some point, it's just a matter of when. IME mechanical switches do not fail because they get a little dirty like some of the optical sensors that's my reason for preferring them. No optical sensor is going to survive 6 years like this and still function ;)
PXL_20240427_141153527.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, I am in the mayor an ato, and woowhich one is preferred by folks here. My tank is a 90 gallon. Thanks in advance for any and all help
This $90 buck one off Amazon running years without fail. Plugged into a multi timer Amazon $20 which only allows power for 1 minute every hour. That frequency matches the evaporation rate so ensures a fail on, would not overfill.
1714227655305.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve no idea whether Tunze is the ‘best’ or not …. It’s kind of a silly claim if you think about it. It may well be the most popular. Don’t know that either. There are a bunch of good options. I have used the avast kit for many years - I personally think that a pressure switch is less likely to go wonky. I have also used the inexpensive set from autotopoff.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 x Tunz (2 tanks) but got a free Red Sea ATO with a replacement tank (long story). The Red Sea is far better in my opinion, you can see through the app the top off log, level of water, volume replaced and how much is left in your reservoir. Very helpful when traveling. Also, i had a few issues with the Tunz's sensor - if not cleaned once in a while it would fail. I have since replaced the 2nd Tunz with a Red Sea ATO.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back