Best light close to water

Royal_pudding

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I've got a predicament. I have a small canopy that is only 3 inches tall above the water surface, and I need lighting good enough for montipora digitata at best in mid tank.
Now, the tank is 60" by 20" and 24" deep. I have tried an AI Blade but it gave out on me, not sure what caused it. Obviously in a small closed space like that moisture and heat can become an issue. Also, im guessing it needs to be a 120° reflector - At least!

Has anybody had a light that delivers in a situation like this? Ill attach a video showin the tank.
I've searched alot of forums and facebook pages but haven't found a concrete answer.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20240625_210648.mp4
    17.7 MB

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Blades 100%- if it gave out, it should be under warranty. I mounted mine in my sump under my lid, the first position I had it in was too much splashing, soaked light and it died.
They sent me a new one without question, didn't even have me return the shorted out one.

Give it a try

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I've got a predicament. I have a small canopy that is only 3 inches tall above the water surface, and I need lighting good enough for montipora digitata at best in mid tank.
Now, the tank is 60" by 20" and 24" deep. I have tried an AI Blade but it gave out on me, not sure what caused it. Obviously in a small closed space like that moisture and heat can become an issue. Also, im guessing it needs to be a 120° reflector - At least!

Has anybody had a light that delivers in a situation like this? Ill attach a video showin the tank.
I've searched alot of forums and facebook pages but haven't found a concrete answer.
Thanks all.
Smaller lights w/ ip67 ratings may work.
You would likely need more than 1.
90 or 120 is sort of optional.. 90 may have some disco if mounted close to the watermsurface. Would need more for better front back spread. near the surface.
  • Industry leading IP67 waterproof rating – light can be mounted directly above water surface for greater light penetration
  • Larger Touch-Switch surface and design offers stable control without any fuss
  • Wider coverage – each individual LED casts 120° of illumination for wider, uniform lighting without dead spots

Like 3 of the above may be a minimum.

Last finding 60" (150mm) lights is a challenge. At close to th surface lights that means yo may have some light falloff on the ends.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a tank I had 10 years ago. I cut a hole on top of the canopy slightly smaller than the lights and sat the fixtures on top of the canopy.

I used industrial strength Velcro to hold them in place.

This method would allow you to raise your lights as high as possible from the surface and reduce heat in the canopy.
20141121_132707.jpeg

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 114 43.7%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 64 24.5%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.4%
Back