Best Wrasse or other to help control planaria?

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one fairy wrasse. About to manually suck them and treat with FWexit. Need something to help control them after treatment.

Also is Flatworm Exit the route most people take?

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the type of Flatworm. I believe FW Exit and similar products are effective on Red Planaria but not so much on other Flatworms. I had a small infestation of brown Flatworms which killed some Euphyllia and Hammers and dosing Flatworm RX (which I believe is chemically the same as FW Exit) didn’t seem to bother them. My Sixline Wrasse ignored them as well, even though they are supposed to eat them (mine is probably too well fed to bother with FWs!). For me it was manual removal, and after a few months that worked (as far as I can tell anyway).

Randallh99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank had a planaria invasion and I bought a Melanarus wrasse. Took about two weeks but planaria free (the second time in my reefing career that I had done this). These wrasses are well known to go after planaria. Fairy wrasses not so much.

OP
OP
Dondante

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200417_221331.jpg
20200417_221338.jpg

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also had success with halichores melanurus.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider get the coral out and do fresh water dip. A few minutes swirling around in a bath of fresh water and they all fall of. Essentially all of the attach to the coral, so just take the small rock with coral and dip it is all you have to do. Re-dip if any return. Coral tolerate this procedure very well, but not the flat worm.
Pest control wrasses (Halichores Genus) need a sand bed.

OP
OP
Dondante

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider get the coral out and do fresh water dip. A few minutes swirling around in a bath of fresh water and they all fall of. Essentially all of the attach to the coral, so just take the small rock with coral and dip it is all you have to do. Re-dip if any return. Coral tolerate this procedure very well, but not the flat worm.
Pest control wrasses (Halichores Genus) need a sand bed.

I planned on dipping with coral RX. You think fresh would be better? I'm down with that.

Just purchased:
Yellow Corris Wrasse and a
Pintail Wrasse

I already have a fairy wrasse of some sort.

Got some Exit just in case I need it.

Also found a used 45jbj all in one at my local shop to set up as a quarantine for future additions. Should have done that long ago. Smh

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 gallon
Many choices. Almost any species of the genuses halichoeres or macropharyngodon will crush those flat worms and will be fine with your existing wrasse. My favorites are h. iridis (poor shipper), h. chrysus (cheap, hardy, and pretty), and m. ornatus (most hardy of the leopard wrasses imo.

Both genuses sleep under the sand.

OP
OP
Dondante

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a leopard but he didn't have one. He's going to try and get me one. I'm realizing wrasses and Tangs are probably the best maintenance fish in a reef Tank. Should have been ahead of the game with wrasses.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lether tolerate FWD just fine. The polyps all retracted make it really to get the flat worm to fall off. Take the coral swirl in one path, then again in a second path then longer in a tank water path. a minute in each path except the third, look at it carefully in the tank water path to make sure all fell off. The next day, the coral will look like nothing happened other than no flat worm.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 150, I would get a few Leopard. They are really nice fish and a Melanurus, an extremely handsome wrasse. Mine was in my tank since she was 1.5 inches. Still a female but even a female, she is beautiful.

Melanurus Female
MelanurusWrasse2020033103.jpg

MelanurusWrasse2020040501.jpg

Black Leopard Male
BlackLeopardWrasse2020040402Male.jpg

Meleagris Leopards (all females)
MeleagrisLeopard2019102201.jpg

Leopard2020040501B.jpg

OP
OP
Dondante

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lether tolerate FWD just fine. The polyps all retracted make it really to get the flat worm to fall off. Take the coral swirl in one path, then again in a second path then longer in a tank water path. a minute in each path except the third, look at it carefully in the tank water path to make sure all fell off. The next day, the coral will look like nothing happened other than no flat worm.

They are also on my hammer(calcium base) and a few mushrooms. FWD or Coral Rx dip for those?

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralrx will take care of them on the hammers no problem. I would dip again in a week, too.

I did exactly that, plus I have many wrasses in my tank, and I haven't seen a flat worm in years.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

BUY OR DIY! WHICH DO YOU PREFER? SHARE YOUR DIY PROJECTS IN THE THREAD!

• I prefer to buy!

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I prefer to DIY!

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • It depends on the project or equipment I need!

Votes: 55 60.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back