Biota Buan's Sleeper Sand Goby eating cyano

leaf2reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wonderful new addition to my tank, a peaceful sand sifter that does not create sand storm and also eat cyano.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

leaf2reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It spends most of its time sand sifting, I have no cyano on the sand, only patches on top of the rock and may be on the glass in the back, it repeatedly target these area. it just take a bite and dive back to the bottom, I think it does not feel comfortable staying long in that open area.
I am wondering if any other blenny exhibit similar behavior?

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It spends most of its time sand sifting, I have no cyano on the sand, only patches on top of the rock and may be on the glass in the back, it repeatedly target these area. it just take a bite and dive back to the bottom, I think it does not feel comfortable staying long in that open area.
I am wondering if any other blenny exhibit similar behavior?
It sounds like the goby is really enjoying Cyano! It may get more comfortable eventually to spend more time with its favorite snack, but like other bottom dwellers, they generally feel safest hanging out near the sand. These Buan's are very similar to the big "dragon" or "bullet" goby A. phalaena sand sifters we see in the trade, but the Buan's are a bit smaller as adults (so they fit better in medium size tanks), and they get that gorgeous red iridescence in their stripes.

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Does anybody else have problems seeing videos here?

I almost bought a dragon sleeper the other day. There was a Buan in the next tank over. My big concern is not being able to put corals on the sandbed down the road.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody else have problems seeing videos here?

I almost bought a dragon sleeper the other day. There was a Buan in the next tank over. My big concern is not being able to put corals on the sandbed down the road.
I usually have issues seeing videos haha

OP
OP
L

leaf2reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish takes a small amount of sand in its mouth from the top layer of the sand bed, it does not disturb the deeper layer and stays low. It is a slow moving fish and from what I observed, at lease for my fish, it did not disturb small frags I have on the sand. I have a 100 gallon DT with large sand bed. The most it did for the frag I have on the sand bed is to sprinkle a little sand on them.
It may not turn over the sand the same as larger sand sifters do but it is a good compromise for me.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wonderful new addition to my tank, a peaceful sand sifter that does not create sand storm and also eat cyano.

Added this little guy on 8/23. Smaller than I expected but he's doing great. I re-homed a Royal gramma that was in my 20g before I added him or it wouldn't have ended well.

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I joined the club :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

IMG_7390.jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DOES YOUR REEF HAVE A 'BOSS'? SHOW OFF YOUR REEF BOSS IN THE THREAD!

• Yes, my tank has a fish boss!

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • No, none of my fish stand out in that way.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Yes, and the boss is me!

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 3.0%

Back