Biowheel 350 Micro Bubbles??

bronsond99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I️ have a 20 gallon and I️ see these little tiny micro bubbles coming from my Penguin Biowheel 350 and it is making my tank look kind of ugly. I️ was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how to fix it?? Everything seems to be tight in the filter and the water level is filled all of the way up.
fc2f04234a64922b34c128c387ae1f0c.jpg
b808429b195adf3a1488ba896878fb81.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sort of water agitation at the surface will create micro bubbles, you powerhead is then keeping them suspended in the water. Its something that just sort of happens with hang on back filtration.

Antegon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bio wheel spray bar is sometimes to blame a bit for this. I dunno if you run with the biowheel or not, and I’m sure if we so desired we could spark a lively convo on the opinions of biowheels and cartridge filters in general, but I would say that if you don’t run the wheel, make sure the spray bar is turned back into the unit or onto the cartridge. Better yet, remove the bar and simply plug that hole. It will up the flow into the unit, but the ajustable flow tab will help you there.
I have a single-sided Penguin that I use for activated carbon and mechanical filtration during water changes and such. Doesn’t run full time at all, only when things are getting really stirred up. And I don’t use the cartridges. You just need a cleanable/reusable filter media, and a filter bag for carbon/whatever you wanna dose. The companies that makes those cartridges love that you have to buy more, and the carbon in them is minimal and doesn’t really do much past the first week. But you can easily escape this capitalist pitfall by buying your own filter media and such for it! Or if you love the ease of the cartridge, certainly no judgement, just my opinion!

OP
OP
bronsond99

bronsond99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. And yes I️ run both of the bio wheels and I️ think I️ might invest into a sump or canister filter. Any thoughts about those? Would that solve the bubbles if I️ had a canister or a sump?!

OP
OP
bronsond99

bronsond99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, it’s only a 20 gallon so how would I️ go about installing a sump? Will I️ have to drill into my tank?

OP
OP
bronsond99

bronsond99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would they prevent micro bubbles? Bc I️ do not like those things

Antegon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d avoid the HOB overflow boxes, just for safety sake. In a small system like this, they are probably fine, but a heater is fine until the day it isn’t. They can lose syphon and are dependent on a v steady water level.
That being said, many people have success with them. It’s about daily upkeep/redundant safety.
Sump is the best way to go, IMO. +1 to canisters for FW planted or dirty tanks. But if you didn’t go the HOB overflow, you would have to probably drill. You can go into the side and rig a box there, instead of having to drill down.
Or you could get a “reef ready” pre-drilled tank and transfer to it. Heck you could upgrade size and make the 20 g into the sump haha!
Drilling your tank would be a process for sure. And you’d need to make sure the glass wasn’t tempered. It can’t be drilled if so. The manufacturer could hopefully tell you if you don’t know.
There’s also the option of staying with HOB, you can get HOB skimmers (def need a skimmer), and still use your penguin for mechanical and carbon if you wanted. The rock/bacteria and skimmer are often enough filtration with good water changing habits. There are also HOB refugiums if you wanna go crazy.
Just some thoughts. Sumps are the best in the long run, but more expensive initially and more setup for sure. Follow your heart!

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are good filters. The bubbles are coming from the bio-wheels. If you take them out, they will go away.

HOW ARE YOU FIGHTING NUISANCE ALGAE RIGHT NOW?

• Clean-Up Crew

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Algae-Eating Fish

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • Light Adjustments

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Nutrient Adjustments

Votes: 42 41.2%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 17 16.7%
Back