Black Clown Goby with Lumps?

TiltedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Just got this little guy yesterday and noticed these lumps/whitish spots on him. Any ID or diagnosis? I only have a blue light pic of him atm but will post white light pics after work today. Have him in the QT with a cleaner shrimp inside. The goby seems fine, he’s swimming around, attaching to things and the glass, eating normally. My LFS is very reputable and wouldn’t have sold me a fish with a spreadable disease (they also heavily QT and treat their livestock before sale).
Could it be lymphocystis? Or just something benign?

IMG_6314.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey! Just got this little guy yesterday and noticed these lumps/whitish spots on him. Any ID or diagnosis? I only have a blue light pic of him atm but will post white light pics after work today. Have him in the QT with a cleaner shrimp inside. The goby seems fine, he’s swimming around, attaching to things and the glass, eating normally. My LFS is very reputable and wouldn’t have sold me a fish with a spreadable disease (they also heavily QT and treat their livestock before sale).
Could it be lymphocystis? Or just something benign?

IMG_6314.jpeg
Need a pic or two under bright white light intensity as this is what we see (below).
Likelihood will be the netting of fish or the fish rubbing lips along the fish bag it was placed in.

1726844996801.png

OP
OP
T

TiltedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a pic or two under bright white light intensity as this is what we see (below).
Likelihood will be the netting of fish or the fish rubbing lips along the fish bag it was placed in.

1726844996801.png
I’ll be able to take some under whites later today after 5 pm est. but from just this pic and his fins you can guess it was the net or bag rubbing?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I’ll be able to take some under whites later today after 5 pm est. but from just this pic and his fins you can guess it was the net or bag rubbing?

Thanks!
Hard to see and tell but typical occurrences with mouth and lip issues when newly purchased

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - we need clear photos under white light.

I can see some fin ray damage on the second dorsal fin - what other fish are in with it?

OP
OP
T

TiltedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - we need clear photos under white light.

I can see some fin ray damage on the second dorsal fin - what other fish are in with it?
Just got him yesterday and he was with a juvie Ocellaris clown in his sale tank at the LFS. He had the fin damage and spottyness prior to introduction to the tank. I will be introducing him to a bonded pair of White Storm Ocellaris, a diamond back goby, and a citron clown goby, as well as a banded shrimp.

OP
OP
T

TiltedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And these too plus a video

Attachments

• IMG_6329.jpeg
    IMG_6329.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6330.jpeg
    IMG_6330.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6328.jpeg
    IMG_6328.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6331.mov
    29.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a really good chance that the goby has ich - it looks different on small gobies.

Have you ever had to deal with ich before?
You might want to contact the store and ask if they are seeing any ich issues in the tank this goby came from.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Looks like some healing fin damage. The fish also appears to have ich and will require treatment using either General cure or chloroquine Phosphate. While they can tolerate coppersafe, I am leery with a fish this small

OP
OP
T

TiltedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some healing fin damage. The fish also appears to have ich and will require treatment using either General cure or chloroquine Phosphate. While they can tolerate coppersafe, I am leery with a fish this small
Put him in a different qt now and treating with coppersafe as that is all i have atm. Will order those others on amazon tn. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6332.jpeg
    IMG_6332.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 1

HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED A TANK EMERGENCY? SHARE YOUR STORY IN THE COMMENTS!

• Unfortunately, yes.

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • Thankfully, no.

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Other (pleas explain).

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back