Bristle worm confirmation?

Jacko85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!

Tank has been up and running for about 5 months, so still a bit new to some (a lot) of things. Have seen these guys skulking in some of the rockwork before, but never out and about. Just tonight was alarmed to see them crawling all over my hammer. Managed to grab a couple out, but still at least a couple more I think in the tank.

Now I *think* these are just bristle worms, and I shouldn't really worry and just a fact of life. But can anyone confirm? My hammer has been a little bit unhappy the last week or so.. but I assume the worms won't be a cause rather than a symptom?

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

Duane family

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are correct, they are great filter feeders. However I do not tolorate this size in a tank, smaller sure no problem but the size of these guys is where I find they can become an issue.

OP
OP
J

Jacko85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are correct, they are great filter feeders. However I do not tolorate this size in a tank, smaller sure no problem but the size of these guys is where I find they can become an issue.
Good to know. Yes I was surprised how large they were. I'll try and catch the larger ones!

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a filter feeder. They actively scavenge for their food.

OP
OP
J

Jacko85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the reason I was asking is because these guys don't grow extremely fast. So I was wondering how you ended up with monsters in such a young tank.
Just great at raising bristle worms i guess.. :confused:

All the coral that has come in has been dipped with red sea dipx as well... and have seen small critters come off (a few mm in size max). The only thing that came in with any size was my first leather which came in on a larger rock from the LFS. Dipped as usual but maybe something was further inside the rock that missed the dip.

Duane family

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just great at raising bristle worms i guess.. :confused:

All the coral that has come in has been dipped with red sea dipx as well... and have seen small critters come off (a few mm in size max). The only thing that came in with any size was my first leather which came in on a larger rock from the LFS. Dipped as usual but maybe something was further inside the rock that missed the dip.
Yip they would have been in the rock.

DOES YOUR REEF HAVE A 'BOSS'? SHOW OFF YOUR REEF BOSS IN THE THREAD!

• Yes, my tank has a fish boss!

Votes: 70 61.4%
  • No, none of my fish stand out in that way.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • Yes, and the boss is me!

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back