Brooklynella?

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, sort of a newbie reefer here and had one of my clownfish die today. Setup a nano reef about two weeks ago dry rock scape, seeded with live sand, and aquavitro seed(claims you can stock the day of, just need to follow a 7 day dosing period) . Picked up 2 baby clowns for the cycle period. Last night when I got home from work I noticed one of the clowns was starting to lose color near his top fins, nervous and without much medication experience I did a 10% water change and left the lights off. The fish made it through the night, but when I came home from work I found it dead. Not sure how long he was floating for as I was gone 9 hours, I’m confused because the other clown seems to be doing fine. Water parameters are stable
D4276B2D-129C-4A03-B740-7B57EEE07523.jpeg

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably brook if it killed it that fast. Did you notice any other symptoms. A lot of the time you'll see a patch that looks like a muted color but upon closer inspection its a separate layer of mucous.

here's a good thread for treating brook

OP
OP
S

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably brook if it killed it that fast. Did you notice any other symptoms. A lot of the time you'll see a patch that looks like a muted color but upon closer inspection its a separate layer of mucous.

here's a good thread for treating brook

I noticed he was starting to act more timid and hanging around the heater the day before, not really playing with his tankmate. Other than that, he seemed fine, he had nice coloration and was active, everything seemed to go downhill in like a 36 hour time frame.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Can be an array of issues. Would be best to see pic when it was alive, even struggling.
Brrok is a typical disease for clowns, but can be velvet, bacteria, fungal , internal, etc

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed he was starting to act more timid and hanging around the heater the day before, not really playing with his tankmate. Other than that, he seemed fine, he had nice coloration and was active, everything seemed to go downhill in like a 36 hour time frame.
With brook, fish develop a very thick mucus layer. The mucus often trails behind the fish in strings, and there are visible patches where the skin has come off the fish. If you didn’t notice any of that, I doubt that it was brook. You’re other clown would also probably be showing symptoms if it was brook. With these things in mind, brook doesn’t seem like the most likely subject. This is just my experience though, so don’t base your diagnosis off of this alone.

OP
OP
S

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With brook, fish develop a very thick mucus layer. The mucus often trails behind the fish in strings, and there are visible patches where the skin has come off the fish. If you didn’t notice any of that, I doubt that it was brook. You’re other clown would also probably be showing symptoms if it was brook. With these things in mind, brook doesn’t seem like the most likely subject. This is just my experience though, so don’t base your diagnosis off of this alone.
I did not see anything hanging off of him or “mucus” like , just color fade and starting to hide. I’ve only had them for about 4 days

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was he swimming at the top if so probably brook or velvet had the same experience i just stay away from clowns now not worth the headache atleast for me

OP
OP
S

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was he swimming at the top if so probably brook or velvet had the same experience i just stay away from clowns now not worth the headache atleast for me
With this nano I was hoping to keep a pair of clowns, but I guess I just won’t be going back to the LFS that I got that one from, now that I remember a friend got a lawn mower blenny from there and it didn’t make it 2 weeks in his well established bio cube

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Brooklynella looks like the cause

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • No.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back