What's the average reefers monthly budget?

pwfess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The average new car payment is $734 a month!!! Family and friends will look at me like I'm nuts when I drop hundreds, or even 1k+, on a nice coral. But these same people will pay well over $500 dollars a month for transportation. Personally, I decide not to have a car payment and I work a little extra in order to cover my hobby expensive. So I ask everyone if they have a monthly budget for the reef tank?

Fenral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your original build budget was way too low haha. Mine was like 7k for everything. Yeah prob around 20k with livestock and all the stuff. And that’s in 1 years. But hey, I work a per diem gig that supplements us 24k a year so…if I didn’t do that job, I wouldn’t have that money! lol this helps me validate myself and spending…bc I don’t touch our regular household income
I answer this with my build thread title:”60G Cube - I can do this cheaply, right? AKA the Mars Mission”

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be doing this wrong. I spend hardly anything. The people who spend all this money, what are you spending it on? I get the electricity and food, but unless your fish and corals are dropping dead all over the place, where is all this money going?

I'm so confused. :rolleyes:
Morning Paul! So I'm thinking an article is needed from you. Seeing how you started when nothing much was available compared to today, you come at this with a different prospective on what is required to run a successful reef tank. Maybe a simple setup list and plan for a inexpensive reef with bare minimum expenses. We can refer new reefers to. Coming from you would have some validity. I run a very minimal reef and have been very successful so far but coming from you I think would have more impact.

Best Regards

Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pwfess

pwfess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning Paul! So I'm thinking an article is needed from you. Seeing how you started when nothing much was available compared to today, you come at this with a different prospective on what is required to run a successful reef tank. Maybe a simple setup list and plan for a inexpensive reef with bare minimum expenses. We can refer new reefers to. Coming from you would have some validity. I run a very minimal reef and have been very successful so far but coming from you I think would have more impact.

Best Regards

Steve
My original intent of the question was just if you set a budget per month. I agree though, at this point in time it’s super cheap to run my tank. I only throw money away bc of buying expensive corals lol.

Upvote 0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cichlid Dad, Thank you for having faith in my thoughts. But there is an enormous, unbelievable, unsurmountable amount of people that feel I am either nuts or a liar and don't know a reef tank from a field of sunflowers or goats. :anguished-face:

I don't believe in so many things in this hobby, one of which I feel it is silly to allow your fish to get sick and many people can't grasp that idea, so I think much money is spent on trying to cure fish or quarantine or medicate them to stay healthy which I feel is counter productive to keeping them healthy.

You are correct, I have been here the day the hobby started. I think it was on a Tuesday, about 2:30 in the afternoon. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

There are 2 ways to enjoy this hobby and one of those ways is very expensive. I hear how much money some people put into this and it boggles my old, senile mind.

Cichlid dad, I wrote numerous threads, posts, articles, podcasts and even wrote a book so I think people know my thoughts.

No sense re hashing it again. :cool:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pwfess

pwfess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cichlid Dad, Thank you for having faith in my thoughts. But there is an enormous, unbelievable, unsurmountable amount of people that feel I am either nuts or a liar and don't know a reef tank from a field of sunflowers or goats. :anguished-face:

I don't believe in so many things in this hobby, one of which I feel it is silly to allow your fish to get sick and many people can't grasp that idea, so I think much money is spent on trying to cure fish or quarantine or medicate them to stay healthy which I feel is counter productive to keeping them healthy.

You are correct, I have been here the day the hobby started. I think it was on a Tuesday, about 2:30 in the afternoon. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

There are 2 ways to enjoy this hobby and one of those ways is very expensive. I hear how much money some people put into this and it boggles my old, senile mind.

Cichlid dad, I wrote numerous threads, posts, articles, podcasts and even wrote a book so I think people know my thoughts.

The era of instagram and social media has probably exploded this hobby for good and bad! Thanks for all your work. I’ll have to check some of it out, as I don’t know you or any of your thoughts…but I do know a bit now :)

Upvote 0

Fenral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had to go to my computer for this one...
Paul, there are more than two ways to enjoy the hobby. There are a few kids on this forum who could benefit from your experience and your knowledge—having been out of the hobby (and yet in the hobby) for longer than most people on this board. There are a lot of things people disagree about, and I've gotten into some downright ugly arguments in the past IE. Nitrogen Cycle - leave it as ammonia bs.

Relink your books and articles, stitch them up together, and post something—god knows, if it doesn't show up on Google, most people can't find it anymore. What do you mean by card catalog? What's this thing? It's in the Microfiche archive? Just because most people won't listen doesn't mean it won't help a few, which is the entire point of a community.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to go to my computer for this one...
Paul, there are more than two ways to enjoy the hobby. There are a few kids on this forum who could benefit from your experience and your knowledge—having been out of the hobby (and yet in the hobby) for longer than most people on this board. There are a lot of things people disagree about, and I've gotten into some downright ugly arguments in the past IE. Nitrogen Cycle - leave it as ammonia bs.

Relink your books and articles, stitch them up together, and post something—god knows, if it doesn't show up on Google, most people can't find it anymore. What do you mean by card catalog? What's this thing? It's in the Microfiche archive? Just because most people won't listen doesn't mean it won't help a few, which is the entire point of a community.
Thank you, I didn't know how to encourage Paul, you did it well

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pwfess

pwfess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you, I didn't know how to encourage Paul, you did it well
Old Man Smile GIF by F*CK, THAT'S DELICIOUS

Is this Paul?

Upvote 0

Knucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am disabled and have to budget a lot. Sometimes it takes months for me to build a tank before I even cycle it. I get my coral from dealers on eBay, but I keep an eye on their ratings. After the tank is finished I budget enough for salt, food, and additives that I need for the tank.

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 36 41.4%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • No.

Votes: 36 41.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back