Brs plumbing — reliable or order backups?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering some unions, piping, bulkheads etc for my first plumbing. Seems most order from BRS instead of Home Depot or elsewhere.

Have it kind of planned. Ordering backup of the pipes but should I order extra of the joints etc? - just incase of faulty parts, or are they reliable to order exactly what you need?

iannarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got the schedule 80 (dark gray) fittings, they are manufactured by Spears, which makes quality stuff. If you order extra of anything, I'd go for unions, not because they might be faulty, but because you'll likely want them in more places than you realize.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not had any issues with brs plumbing supplies. I used local sources also but had trouble finding everything. I pretty much bought fittings and valves from BRS and pipe local.
makes sense to just order it one and done instead of looking around. I saw a few reviews saying the plumbing wasn’t fitting in random comments but hard to tell if that’s more a user error rather than quality

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you got the schedule 80 (dark gray) fittings, they are manufactured by Spears, which makes quality stuff. If you order extra of anything, I'd go for unions, not because they might be faulty, but because you'll likely want them in more places than you realize.
I was thinking to keep the unions to a minimum but you’re probly right. Plus better to have them and change my mind than need it. I was thinking extras as backup for quality control like if one was warped or something. Sounds like maybe they’re fine though

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've order from them (BRS) in the past with no issues. Finding Sch80 gate valves locally can be tough. My local Menards carries just about everything else.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
very reliable. bought my plumbing once and never had to change or replace anything. i also am painfully bad at keeping up with maintenance, and yet plumbing and valves remained functioning.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unions are good. I plan on plumbing mine with as many as I can.

iannarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking to keep the unions to a minimum but you’re probly right. Plus better to have them and change my mind than need it. I was thinking extras as backup for quality control like if one was warped or something. Sounds like maybe they’re fine though
They are super useful for getting everything aligned after it's glued as well!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fixtures from BRS are fine but I just pick up everything from local big box stores like Home Depot/Lowes/Menards. They are cheaper and I can get them immediately.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • My coral

Votes: 41 56.2%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back