Building Freshwater BioCube 16 Gallon - Help me

newfishhobbiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a Biocube 16 gallon tank, I want to make it into fresh water tank because as a first timer I feel like it will be easier vs going salt water route.
I got the tank used and cleaned it with Vinegar and Water inside and let it dry for 48 hours. Now the tank is like brand new.

I have a water pump, heat pump, media tray, filter cartridge and bio balls.

What do I put inside the Media Tray? - Sponge on top tray, BIO BALLS on bottom? Do I need to add anything?

I am thinking of putting the heat pump behind the filter cartridge, would that be okay?

Sorry for all the questions if they have already been answered in the forum. First - timer here
biocube_filter.jpg.e1a3fdbbf6f4808707191993f33e1128.jpg

6-cl15661-ledbiocube16-back.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
All of the media works in both fw and sw - most of it is there to provide a surface for beneficial bacteria to live on. There shouldn’t be any problems using it in freshwater.
As for the tank itself, the two issues you may have are the pump and lighting. The lights are just designed with coral in mind, so it’s going to be very blue and strong. Not a huge deal and something that can be adjusted, but worth mentioning. The pump is meant for saltwater, where currents are much stronger. I’d either replace it with a weaker pump or get fish that will do better with high flow (of the common fw fish, I’d pass on gouramis or bettas).

OP
OP
N

newfishhobbiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
All of the media works in both fw and sw - most of it is there to provide a surface for beneficial bacteria to live on. There shouldn’t be any problems using it in freshwater.
As for the tank itself, the two issues you may have are the pump and lighting. The lights are just designed with coral in mind, so it’s going to be very blue and strong. Not a huge deal and something that can be adjusted, but worth mentioning. The pump is meant for saltwater, where currents are much stronger. I’d either replace it with a weaker pump or get fish that will do better with high flow (of the common fw fish, I’d pass on gouramis or bettas).
I have decided to make it in SW, I have some dry rocks need to see how to cure them

OP
OP
N

newfishhobbiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the salt!
Thank you @MDAquatics and @Sharkbait19

Here are the rocks, what would you recommend I do in terms of curing? Bleach & Water?

Can I use Tap Water (10 gallon) and Bleach (1 gallon) mixture for curing?
Do I put pump and heat sink inside the storage bin for curing?

Or do I need RO water ?

Also, can someone moderator or admin change title of this thread to "Salt Water BioCube 16 Setup - Start to Finish"

IMG_6728.JPG IMG_6729.JPG IMG_6730.JPG IMG_6731.JPG IMG_6732.JPG IMG_6733.JPG IMG_6734.JPG IMG_6735.JPG IMG_6736.JPG IMG_6737.JPG IMG_6738.JPG IMG_6739.JPG IMG_6740.JPG IMG_6741.JPG IMG_6742.JPG IMG_6743.JPG IMG_6744.JPG IMG_6745.JPG IMG_6746.JPG IMG_6747.JPG IMG_6748.JPG

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soaking it in freshwater will do the trick imo - very little in saltwater will survive that.
You would want to use ro/di, as reef rocks have a tendency to absorb a lot of chemicals and leech them out later.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted my Biocube 16 into fresh. Went full on mod convert. Took hood off, got Kraken lid, Hygger light and removed the back media/fuge area. Using a Fluval hob filter .
IMG_1961.jpeg

Bitis Botanical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a Biocube 32 as a freshwater tank. I put a chunk of Poret foam in the middle chamber but bioballs are fine too. I am using the stock light and pump without any problems.

20240614_195622.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got RODI water and just soaking the rocks in it for now, how many days do you reckon I leave it in?

Should I put a pump and heater? @MDAquatics @Sharkbait19
A few days should be good. A pump wouldn’t be a bad thing but not necessary.
I’d be wary of boiling. It certainly works, but I’d be afraid of aerosolizing any toxins (like from dried up palys) in the process. Freshwater will kill anything on there.

OP
OP
N

newfishhobbiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days should be good. A pump wouldn’t be a bad thing but not necessary.
I’d be wary of boiling. It certainly works, but I’d be afraid of aerosolizing any toxins (like from dried up palys) in the process. Freshwater will kill anything on there.
Awesome thank you so much for your help. Really blessed to have you guys in the forum :)

I am putting in the media tray

(In the removable drip tray)
Top shelf: Chemi-pure (mesh bag)
Middle shelf: Biopellets (mesh bag) or Bio Balls - (not sure)
Bottom shelf: Matrix (mesh bag)

Heater behind the Filter Cartridge
Biocube 16 gallon - Right side - Filter Catridge

Sponge before the Tank

And initially adding "Activate" from Aqualife when starting the tank in 2 weeks or so.

Saltwater (bought from store)

CaribSea Arag-Alive 20 lb Fiji Pink Sand + Rocks above will be the setting initially and then run the cycle for 10 days - then bring in fishes (Clownfish or Damselfish)​

1718977636660.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good - just don’t rush the cycling. I’d wait on any fish until water routinely comes back with 0 ammonia and you start getting positive nitrate readings.

Be careful with clowns (or damsels) - they can be very aggressive, especially in small tanks and will limit what can go in there.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • My coral

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back