Calcium and dkh recommended levels

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use tropic marin salt which mixes to 7 dkh and 450 calcium.

This week and it's been fairly stable we tested at 6.7 dkh and 415 calcium, we only have a few lps coral.

Due to a dino problem quite a while ago we stopped water changes and for the last 6 months it's been done weekly.

I like the salt as it mixes quickly without any staining in the mixing bucket and if required stores we'll (although I don't generally do that)

I've got some AFR but haven't used it yet, but should I to boost the calcium and dkh numbers or consider changing salt ?

praba775

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY dkh is 9 to 10. And my calcium is 440. My orange musroom coral, orange digitata and my green star polyp are happier than ever.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I still may change my salt, looking at DD h2ocean stuff but I'm undecided

Nothing wrong with using most any salt mix, but I’ll note that water changes are a very expensive way to maintain calcium and alkalinity. Almost any dosing method is cheaper.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use fritz blue bucket. But you should get what is readily available to you at your lfs.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with using most any salt mix, but I’ll note that water changes are a very expensive way to maintain calcium and alkalinity. Almost any dosing method is cheaper.
Agreed, I'm looking to initially transition from weekly changes to every two weeks and use AFR, then maybe extend it further, it's only a 75 gallon system but eventually will be upgraded but that's a long way off

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 59 75.6%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 7 9.0%
Back