Can I have 3 blue green chromis in my tank?

weldrick208658

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32.5 gallon with 2 clownfish, cleaner goby, falco hawkish and a Yasha goby and pistol shrimp and I’ve been looking for some fish to swim around the top because my rock scape is really low I have no aggression issues and if I’m not able to have any chromis is there any other suggestions on fish that swim around the top that don’t eat corals
IMG_7511.jpeg

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find chromis are 50/50 in small groups. Bicolor chromis would also work in there and they seem a bit more peaceful with eachother than blue-greens in my experience. They also stay smaller only getting 3” vs the 3-5” of blue-greens.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel 8 fish would be too much in a 32 gallon.... have you got the filtration in place to handle this major bioload?

There is not much rockwork so any bullied fish has no where to hide. I think you are risking your peaceful tank if you add 3 more fish.

OP
OP
W

weldrick208658

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel 8 fish would be too much in a 32 gallon.... have you got the filtration in place to handle this major bioload?

There is not much rockwork so any bullied fish has no where to hide. I think you are risking your peaceful tank if you add 3 more fish.
Do you have any suggestions for 1 fish that would swim near the top section or do you think I should not get any more fish

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any suggestions for 1 fish that would swim near the top section or do you think I should not get any more fish
Cardinal fish comes to mind but I have a hunch with a pair of clowns any more fish will be risky.

EDIT : I tried groups of 7 chromis twice and both times I ended up with one.

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinal fish comes to mind but I have a hunch with a pair of clowns any more fish will be risky.

I learned a trick with blue greens or blue reef chromis, get an indigo hamlet in with them and they’re suddenly best friends. Or any other larger aggressive fish that will push them around a bit and keep them scared. Chromis school for safety so if they feel safe they’ll pick eachother off.

I keep indigo hamlets in the tanks next to my chromis and they turn into model citizens very quickly. Obviously don’t mix them if the chromis are still bite sized lol but once they’re 3+” they’re generally safe.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned a trick with blue greens or blue reef chromis, get an indigo hamlet in with them and they’re suddenly best friends. Or any other larger aggressive fish that will push them around a bit and keep them scared. Chromis school for safety so if they feel safe they’ll pick eachother off.

I keep indigo hamlets in the tanks next to my chromis and they turn into model citizens very quickly. Obviously don’t mix them if the chromis are still bite sized lol but once they’re 3+” they’re generally safe.
The hamlet is listed as not reef safe but that could just be inverts. I did have mine in with 5 decent sized tangs and two triggers and they still picked each other off.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried a few times as well. Always dwindled disappointingly fast.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 1 blue green chromis or a lyretail anthias and you will be good. In a groups you will end up with one. Put a mirror on tank in front of clowns or they gonna tear up the newcomer

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have tried a group of 3 and a group of 4 chromis in my 75 gallon reef over the years and same result both time. One chromis becomes dominant and kills off the rest.

I know some have success but I think an much larger rank than mine is needed

I would not reccomend more than 1. But your bioload already seems high. Just because you have open space at the top of the water column does not mean you should be squeezing in a fish there

It is highly possible your clowns will eventually pick each other off, or harass new fish

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you buy 4 you can have 3 lol

I'm worried now that my Flame Angel had to be removed for coral decimation and being a bully(outgrew my tank) that my 3 chromis will also turn to 1. Already saw 2 of them kiss fighting and the angel has been gone 3 days. Good news is my corals are much happier!

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 32.5 gallon, I think the dominant chromis will kill the other two off, you have to be careful, in very rare occasions it might work, most of the time no.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back