Can I keep 3 green-blue chromis in my tank

snowy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon and I want to add 3 green blue chromis in it will they kill each other? And I want to add different fish later on. Will it be ok or will they just kill all the other fish that I add later.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I prefer to keep green chromis in groups of five or more to try and spread any aggression out among all of them. With just 3, you may find that one gets picked on too much.

Another issue is that it is difficult to find good quality green chromis, so many of them come in with Uronema infections or are really thin. Personally, I’ve stopped buying the small ones due to the high mortality rate.

Jay

OP
OP
S

snowy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I prefer to keep green chromis in groups of five or more to try and spread any aggression out among all of them. With just 3, you may find that one gets picked on too much.

Another issue is that it is difficult to find good quality green chromis, so many of them come in with Uronema infections or are really thin. Personally, I’ve stopped buying the small ones due to the high mortality rate.

Jay
Do you think I should get 5? And later on would I be able to add 2 clownfish?. Is that okay for a 20gallon if I’m doing weekly water changes and have very good filtration ?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not keep them . They start off good and slowly go down hill . Have seen large ones and they look impressive. Just my experience with them

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Jay on size they have a much better chance when their big although not easy to find. IMO 5 is pushing it in a 20g. I have 3 large that have been fine for years, but I have always added groups of chromis at the end as their alot less likely to fight when with large tangs ect. as the #s aspect comes into play.

Hyphnx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are tough to acclimate if I am not mistaken. You could do a smaller hawkfish to add personality in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a 20 gallon and I want to add 3 green blue chromis in it will they kill each other? And I want to add different fish later on. Will it be ok or will they just kill all the other fish that I add later.
Best in group of 5-7-9 and so forth. Smaller numbers are often weeded out by an aggressor. They are Not difficult to acclimate- Its a matter of upon purchase observing their bodies for imperfections, seeing them eat and see how they interact with each other in a store display

-JoJoReefing-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Chromis are hardy fish, but they like to pick in each other, and they can get big and fat quickly. I would not put them in a 20 gallon.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say to stock odd numbers but in my experience whether you put 5 or 15 there has always eventually ended up being only one .

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken @reefexclusive quarantines large chromis in groups if you really want to take some of the worry out of it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I should get 5? And later on would I be able to add 2 clownfish?. Is that okay for a 20gallon if I’m doing weekly water changes and have very good filtration ?

Sorry, no, a 20 is too small. Personally, I would skip this species. Look for maybe a single springer's damsel....

Jay

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back