Can I Silicone Acrylic?

Trial&Eror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad I got your attention :) This post contains no acrylic or silicone… You’re safe here. You’ve already been click baited so you might as well stick around ->

This post is dedicated to the progress of my wooden “lagoon”. The hobby has always been pretty expensive, but when I saw the prices of tanks and equipment after a lengthy hiatus, I decided to build my own.

I’m a pretty shoddy carpenter and I can’t quite remember if I passed high school geometry (I was probably doing a different type of reefing back then), but I figured “what the heck”. I framed up a 96”x47”x15” box, added the underlayment, stapled the ol’ rubber liner in, and gave her a slick paint job.

Which brings me to square two, the aquascape. This is arguably my favorite part of aquarium building and I would love some feedback on design, function, and the future potential. In order for you guys to give me your two cents, you’ll probably need to know my goals for the tank.

My goals are to do a low stocked tank, a clown pair, CUC, one tang, one wrasse. My long term coral/invert goal, is a species specific anemone based on clowns (subject to change).

I would like to keep the tank barebottom, with sand bed “islands” hidden in the hardscape. My goal for the sand bed
Islands is to isolate macro algaes to their own areas. The main macros being fern caulpera* and dragonsbreath. I am aware of how prolific the fern is and maybe somebody has a better option to offer up! The main goal: to keep the tank as natural as possible, relying on good husbandry and natural nutrient export with minimum external equipment. (Inflation is high and my neighbor only has a chihuahua) Is it too soon for that joke?

Here’s a pic of where I’m at and I’m not happy with what it’s looking like. The plastic bin needs to be shorter and the stones look to “wallish” and unnatural. I’m going to need to find a way to break up the lines and round it out. I’m thinking of ditching the big bin and finding a different size altogether. Please excuse the mess.

If you read this far, I really appreciate you and I hope all is well in not only your tanks, but life in general!!! Really looking forward to any input.

Thank you guys,
NW

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an interesting build.
What are you doing for light, flow and filtration, I know you said you wanted to keep it natural and all I was just wondering.

OP
OP
T

Trial&Eror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an interesting build.
What are you doing for light, flow and filtration, I know you said you wanted to keep it natural and all I was just wondering.
I appreciate that. The main display light will be this Cree I scored on eBay, it is 24”x6”. For flow I was hoping to get away with the largest crossflow wavemaker Amazon has to offer. Filtration will more than likely be a canister filter and gfo style media reactor. I do have a few ideas for a sump, I just haven’t decided what would be more effective

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a cool build! I’ll certainly be following along!
Also completely random but this made think about saltwater rays, I don’t know what their requirements are or anything like that but I assume like freshwater rays they’d prefer a tank with a large amount of bottom area like this.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhh! interesting, looks fun.

Instead of the clear/white tub, what about a black one? They make some tiny ones for fountains and some even in odd shapes you may be able to scape more interesting around..

I was thinking the black would sort of blend in with the black and the plants may grow up over the edge hiding that part

1726451597010.png

1726451568647.png

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a cool build! I’ll certainly be following along!
Also completely random but this made think about saltwater rays, I don’t know what their requirements are or anything like that but I assume like freshwater rays they’d prefer a tank with a large amount of bottom area like this.
Thank you! It will be a slow build but I’ll definitely keep updating the thread as things keep progressing

It’s funny you mention that, before I started this build I considered maybe doing a smaller ray species. I opted out for a couple reasons. The bio load would be very high, they prefer round enclosures without sharp corners, and barbs don’t mix will with rubber liners lol.

I definitely need to scour this forum and see other member tanks with big predators! All I’ve ever seen is the YouTubers from south Florida throw them in above ground swimming pools. It would be cool to see someone who’s actually keeping a tank like that successfully vs doing it for views like the YouTubers!

OP
OP
T

Trial&Eror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhh! interesting, looks fun.

Instead of the clear/white tub, what about a black one? They make some tiny ones for fountains and some even in odd shapes you may be able to scape more interesting around..

I was thinking the black would sort of blend in with the black and the plants may grow up over the edge hiding that part

1726451597010.png

1726451568647.png
I like that!!! Looks like I’ll be stopping by Home Depot at some time this week

OP
OP
T

Trial&Eror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It will be a slow build but I’ll definitely keep updating the thread as things keep progressing

It’s funny you mention that, before I started this build I considered maybe doing a smaller ray species. I opted out for a couple reasons. The bio load would be very high, they prefer round enclosures without sharp corners, and barbs don’t mix will with rubber liners lol.

I definitely need to scour this forum and see other member tanks with big predators! All I’ve ever seen is the YouTubers from south Florida throw them in above ground swimming pools. It would be cool to see someone who’s actually keeping a tank like that successfully vs doing it for views like the YouTubers!
This was my old r2r account, don’t know how I accidentally logged in and wrote that entire reply without noticing (face palm)

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that!!! Looks like I’ll be stopping by Home Depot at some time this week

you might have to order them to be delivered, not sure if they carry them in store this time of year (probably depends on which store) but it looked to be free delivery or pick up. Then just return what doesn't work.

Back